Cydia won't open and I need to jailbreak tonight! Helppp!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by boston04and07, Sep 12, 2009.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I just jailbroke my sister's iPhone 3G running OS 3.0. The jailbreak process went smoothly, and when I tried to add ultrasn0w in the Manage Sources section, I received the following error message:

After that, *all* sources in Cydia failed to be listed in the Manage Sources section. I tried rebooting the iPhone, and now, Cydia won't even open at all. It gets to the Loading Data screen, and quits.

I can't ssh into the phone because I never even had time to install openSSH.

I even tried doing a full restore, but iTunes 9 won't let me restore without upgrading the firmware to 3.1 (and I did try holding down both option and shift, nothing works).

The thing is, I *need* to jailbreak this phone tonight...she's going abroad tomorrow and needs to be able to use the phone with a different SIM card.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just rejailbreak it to 3.0 or 3.0.1. Just hold alt/option on your keyboard while clicking restore, and you can choose the 3.0 IPSW.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

And install Icy while you're at it so if Cydia goes tits up you can still add software.

4. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thanks for your quick reply! Thing is, that's what wasn't working for me. I tried holding down option, command, shift ( not at the same time, but separately) and it still tried to upgrade to 3.1. But, I just moved over to a computer that was still running iTunes 8 and the restore seems to be working fine now.

On another note, after I restore and rejailbreak this phone, how do i know that ultrasn0w won't do the same thing? I followed the instructions to the letter, and ultrasn0w still messed everything up.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

It might have just been a fluke. I've used ultrasn0w a ton of times, and never had a problem with it. Make sure before installing anything that cydia is fully updated basically everything (that it deems essential). Then try it.

6. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Alright, will do!

These are the instructions I used for ultrasn0w. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

I've used iClarified before and they were always spot on, but are these ones correct? Just want to make sure I'm doing this the right way before I try it again!

7. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I hope so too! I'll let you know how it goes after the restore completes and I rejailbreak!

8. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Ok - the iPhone restored, was rejailbroken, and ultrasn0w was successfully installed this time! Thank you SO much - you guys are great!

Just one more quick question. Now that ultrasn0w is installed, will I be able to just swap out the SIMs and have it work? Or is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks again!

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Just swap 'em! No need for anything else. Depending on the other carrier for the phone, the 3G might need to be turned off for the phone to get service properly. T-Mobile requires it to be turned off for example.