Cydia & XMMS

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Tyris, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Tyris macrumors newbie

Has anyone here installed the Cydia package, I've noted that it brings lots of debian style packages over and implements a MUCH more complete BSD subsystem.

One package I have not seen is XMMS. Yes, I know, it sounds crazy, but I like XMMS better than Apple's built-in mp3 player.

Anyone know of any alternate mp3 players for the ipod touch?

Im seriously tempted to setup a cross-compiler and try to build xmms from source for the darwin-arm arch.

-T

2. nerdbert macrumors regular

nerdbert

Sorry, but that's the weirdest thing I have read here so far. XMMS works great on my 15" (as long as I don't use EsounD as the daemon). But I can't see how a Winamp-like interface is going to shine on the iPhone. I acutally clicked on this thread because I was curious what other things XMMS stands for apart from X MultiMedia System.

Ok, that would be really fun and I'd love to take a look at it if someone manages to do this. But you would have to modify and compile other things as well: ALSA alone will give you lots of trouble - IIRC ALSA was never ported to BSD so you would have to do a lot more than just cross-compiling...

One random note: I installed µClinux (that's Linux for hardware lacking a micro-controller) on my iPod 3g some time ago. Back then it was totally unusable* but fun to play with. It would be great to see a similar project for the iPhone. With this CPU, screen and interface it could turn into a real alternative.

*Ok, you could boot it and you were actually able to look at b/w .gif pictures, but for example it didn't support real-time playback of mp3 files meaning that you had to ignore several gaps every second. On the other hand it supported ogg files (also not in real-time)

3. Claytybob macrumors member

Claytybob

lol

When I Originally Saw This Topic I thought it said XMPP (See how tired I am?) but this would really be cool! I have wanted some alternatives to MobileMediaPlayer.app and never wanted to install things I do not have experiance with.
    once again Good Idea!
    Clayton

4. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

I agree it would be a nice thing (or rockbox too, always loved rockbox)

Although rockbox is obviously an entirely different subject XD and a firmware replacement.

(the rockbox team should code a media app or something? that'd be sweet haha)

5. Tyris thread starter macrumors newbie

I've used XMMS on a Sharp Zaurus PDA with 640x480 screen runing linux and X windows. It worked fine. I dont care for the ipod's internal database system as my music is all mp3, some of which do not have id3 info and are already categorized in directories.

I looked into it some more and xmms is tied closely to gtk and the underlying sound system. It looks like this project is not feasible on apple's bastardized bsd.

There is an interesting iphone linux project starting up.
    http://iphonelinux.org

It will be a huge win if they can turn the ipod into a better multifunction device.

-T