cylinder mac pro running my 3D software - connecting displays question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by estherau, Dec 25, 2015.

1. estherau macrumors newbie

Hi, i have a cylinder mac pro with AMD FirePro D700x2 but my software seems to run very slowly eg camera getting stuck on zoom in Vue. It suddenly occurred to me today that maybe this problem has something to do with my connections. I have 3 displays connected to my mac pro. None of them are by thunderbolt as they are older displays. Could this be why my software runs so slow eg vue by e-on. The camera is so sluggish the software is unuseable eg sticking on zoom etc.
    If I had a newer monitor/display with thunderbolt 2 connected directly to my cylinder mac pro would my video card perform better?
    Esther

2. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

is zooming etc only sluggish with large/complex scenes & objects?
    or is it lagging with simple items as well?

if the first one, then you're bumping into software limitations and no configuration of hardware is going to solve it..
    if the second one then yeah, there's a problem elsewhere which may/may not be hardware related..
    but make sure it's not the first one first.

3. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

what software is it? is it old, maybe 32bit, and probably not optimized for multiple displays?

4. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Maybe you've already done this, but I would start with the e-on support forums. It could be bugs in the software, incompatibility with the OS X version you're using, etc.

If you're not using TB ports (mDP) for the displays, what are you using? If it's mDP to DVI/HDMI adapters, then that shouldn't cause any performance issues with the software. If it's some sort of USB adapter/Matrox adapter or similar, that would likely explain it since they would be bypassing the D700 GPUs.

5. estherau thread starter macrumors newbie

6. estherau thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, the scenes that are bigger give the problem. Very small scenes have no problems with the camera. I have 3 old displays. one is connected via the thunderbolt port via an adapter that goes to an old multipin monitor display plug. The other one is HDMI and I'm not sure how I connected the third - USB maybe (but it would be usb2 if that is the case). So anyway, i was wondering if the actual connections of the monitors could cause some of the problems. I dropped the monitor resolutions to the minimum and that did help a little.
    Kind regards,
    esther

7. MacVidCards Suspended

A USB connected display will be slowest, so only use that for toolbars.

Better still get a MDP to whatever adapter to connect it.

The 6 TB ports look impressive but have very limited bandwidth available. Best to put each display on one of each of the 3 controllers. Apple has online guides explaining this.

You may need "active" adapter for 3rd display as only so many "legacy" monitors are supported.