D&D Books

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Reao, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Reao macrumors member

Ok so how many geeks like me out there would like to see Wizard of the Cost put there D&D books on the new iBookstore?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd like to see them build a full blown app that network via bluetooth or wifi. Not only books but to keep your character sheet, draw maps (freeform or hex), etc etc etc... :)

3. Reao thread starter macrumors member

OOo That would be nice too, Right now I run i4e and it a grate little app.

4. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

LOL I remember when you actually had to you know . . . get together to play D&D. The iPad does seem to be the perfect device to take this wonderful game into the 21st century, whether played together in a room or remotely.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You'd still play in the same room. Just instead of piles of books and paper, each person would have an iPad. Then the GM could discreetly inform any given player of some information only they are privy to. That kind of stuff.

6. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Yeah I understand :) But the thing is you wouldn't *have* to be in the same room. Sort of the point of my post.

7. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

How else could you pass the beer and ding-dongs?

8. danlovaj macrumors regular

Yes, I'm wondering about the Dragonlance books if they will be on iBookstore. I know they are on Kindle, so I should be covered either way.

First book I am buying is the Lost Chronicles: Dragons of the Hourglass Mage. Been waiting for iPad before purchasing!

9. Reao thread starter macrumors member

That is true, they really have pushed the online content and online play with 4e. I sill get together every week and play with people in real life. :eek:

10. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

I posted this in a thread that nobody read a couple months ago, but instead of a link, here's the text:

There was a thread about board games some weeks ago, and a few of us brought this up. There are a lot of ways an iPad could be used to assist a traditional D&D game... from keeping track of characters to dungeon mapping, rolling dice, and more. I think the neat thing about D&D is that it is a social game - it includes a lot of interactions between real people. In my mind, this is where the iPad really shines - as a device to enhance traditional social situations. It's something you can move around a group and share. In that way, it's very different than say bringing a laptop to a D&D game.

What I'm trying to say is that there might be a tendency for someone to write or want an app that "does it all for you", but what you'll wind up with is something like everquest or WoW. But with that, you lose the need to be in the same physical space with other people, and the magic of the original game is lost. I think there's a huge potential for the iPad to be something very different. With this, you keep track of your hit points, abilities, spells... if you or the DM wants to "break the rules" or invent some situation not covered by the standard rules, you'd be able to do that. The iPad would be there just to facilitate the mundane tasks of writing things down, and looking things up. That's the kind of thing that's not really possible with fully-featured fantasy games (at least those that I've seen).

I could envision a situation where each player has an iPad running a D&D app... plus a DM has one. The app would include a personal space for stuff you can only see, and a public space for things you want to share. It would also include a tab for "reference" to look up any monster/spell/race/etc... So, you encounter a monster, and go to the public space to roll some dice where everyone can see it. Or, just use regular dice on a table. Take a hit, and go to your character sheet to mark it down. The DM could have some kind of "monster generator / manager" tab that would help him keep track of his end. Another tab could be a free-form drawing space where you map-out where you are, and have little icons you can move around like figures. You could pass secret notes to individual players and plan things...

Sure, that's a lot of iPads... but considering you can use the iPad for other things aside from D&D, it's more a worthwhile investment.

Anyway, to answer your question - I have no idea if anything is in the works. But, I hope so... Even though I don't play D&D anymore (been 20+ years), it still has a place in my heart, and I like to think that people would enjoy the D&D&iPad experience.

11. Brammy macrumors 65816

I use i4e on the iPhone and iplay4e.appspot.com during D&D sessions. The other players kind of give me crap about it, but it makes general character administration easier: see what powers have been used, manage surges, etc.

I use the Insider Char Builder (sadly windows only) to update my character and print the sheets. I'm looking forward to just storing the PDFs on my iPad and viewing them instead of having to print out things.

12. Elzlaik macrumors regular

13. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

LOL!

Hmm that's a bummer.

On a related note...WOW are we a bunch of geeks. There's a movie in here somewhere...40 Year Old D&D Player.

14. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

But are they "owned" by Random House? I think they could create a new interactive app that was much more than a book, and not conflict with their book distribution deals. Random House adds no value to WoC with the iPad model.

15. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

3.5 ed Character Sheet Management App PLEASE!

I don't really care about having everyone linked by ipad/iphone and doing complex campaign management that way. Only one other player in my group uses the iphone, and I will be the only one with an ipad (for the foreseeable future anyway). I REALLY want a full-blown char sheet though that would work with a 3.5 campaign, that adjusts my AC, attack, and damage based on what buff spells I have going (I play a cleric). I'd love to be able to just click toggles and activate effects and have it recalculate all my stats based on that and keep a timer on rounds and such. As well as keeping track of spells and how many I've used for the day, as well as special effects, such as once/day items, etc.

There is nothing even close to this available on the iphone store. The CIMP app is really, really lame. The iphone screen was really small for a full-featured character sheet management app, but I'm REALLY hoping something comes out for ipad. I would pay decent money, like even $10 or more, for an app like this.

16. HyMinded macrumors newbie

17. Dexamalion macrumors newbie

Dungeon Mapp 1.2

Hey Guys, I thought I would mention I have an app out there for the iPad, called Dungeon Mapp. You can use it to mapp rooms or entire Dungeons, roll initiative for all party members and keep track of the order, a separate dice roller, animated decals, lots of art, the ability to save maps to your PC and then email, and lots of other features. Please check it out!

http://www.ambitioussoftware.com

Dex