D-din head units... Ip5 album art over bt?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geoluv, Apr 26, 2013.

1. geoluv macrumors newbie

I'm about to install a double din head unit in my car and I was looking for recomendations, preferably <$200. I want to be able to stream music with album art over bt. Voice command would be nice. Also an optional steering wheel remote control would be nice.

I know I won't get this for unde 200 but do any of he head units have video streaming or navigation from the ip5 yet?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i dont think the audio bluetooth profile used to stream even support the album art. i could be wrong, but im pretty sure the channel is audio only.

there are multiple head units that support BT, especially for making phone calls, that come with a small mic and remotes. my guess is if you started your iphone nav, it would route the voice commands as well.

you could always call crutchfield and ask them what they have or could recommend that may have what youre looking for.

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I just did the Kenwood eXcelon DDX790 in my '08 TL and, while I can stream via BT, I do not see any Album Art over BT. Plugged in thru USB, Album Art works great!

Great D-Din HU, btw!! And, inexpensive ($499) for it's features!

No Video mirroring from iP5 yet.... Sucks!

4. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Pioneer has some nice ones that are relatively inexpensive. The AVH-X2500BT can be had for about $270 on amazon and it will do everything you want except album art over BT which is likely not going to happen on any head unit. It does show nice album art when connected via USB.

Pioneer head units can show video from an iPhone 5 but its a clunky and expensive solution. You need their proprietary cable which is about $50, plus the lightning to HDMI adapter from Apple (another $50), and a regular lightning to USB cable ($20). Unfortunately IIRC there isn't a simple way to show video on any head unit right now, since lightning doesn't support video-out on its own.

5. geoluv thread starter macrumors newbie

I swear I read about some sterios doing album art over bt. Obviously not a audio bt thing, prob some sort of proprietary app you do on your phone that interacts with the head unit. Do any head units is the 200 range show the nav apps on the screen with the ip5? Preferably the free nav apps or Magellan not that driveX one or whatever it's called that charges a subscription? Any cool stuff that the ip5 can do with head units that you guys like that I might not know about?

6. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

I have the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT in my daily driver and the album artwork comes through when I have my phone connected via BT and as well as my iPod in the glove compartment.

Most of the artwork comes from iTunes when I'm syncing and adding more music to the iPod. As far as the BT goes, all of my music is on iTunes Match which also downloads the artwork and displays on the screen.

It's not in the $200 range though. Double din head units are one of those things they say "you get what you pay for."

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Double DIN units are more expensive, definitely a lot more than 200.

8. geoluv thread starter macrumors newbie

^ yeh that's what I'm finding out, won't be able to get a quality unit for less than $250. Wal mart sells no-name ones for sub 200 but I want a quality unit and it needs to be ip5 compatable.

9. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I just had a Sony WX-GT90BT installed in my car. It has the bluetooth mic for calls and also streams music wirelessly via bluetooth from my iPhone 5. I paid $149 when it was on sale. Its not touch screen or doesn't play videos or anything like that but it might be worth looking into if you are looking for something under $200.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YboRfwLtTVA/p_158WXGT90B/Sony-WX-GT90BT.html

10. geoluv thread starter macrumors newbie

^ I've always liked the sound quality of Sony units, and the radio tuners seem to always be top notch to me, but I need something with a color screen for album art.