D/L speeds poor in Mac good in VM win 7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ravenx2012, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Ravenx2012 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new iMac 27" I3 and am totally perplexed on this issue.

I have read numerous post saying similar things, with no answers that have worked.

With Safari or Chrome running under OSX, my download speed may briefly ramp to about 300 kb/s then quickly drop down to 50 - 70 kb/s for the remainder of the download.

In VM Win 7 under Parallels my D/L speeds are consistently 1.0 - 1.3 MB/s. They never drop down after they start.

I tested specific servers downloading the same file under both systems, even tried using Folx; which didn't help either.

speedtest results 10/5 all the time in the VM win7 10/5 sometimes in OSX, other times stutters at 1.5/3. Really weird that the D/L is slower then the U/L

Anyhow, this all started day 1, 0 hour when i tried installing the OSX updates when i turned the computer on for the first time. So this was prior to FOLX and prior to VM Win 7. Neither of those can be blamed.

Hardware wise. I am going wireless into an airport extreme. However I tried wired too. No difference.

What this has to come down to is something in the software of OSX, that is quite literally applying brakes to the D/L speeds.

I'm new to MAc but not new to computers. So I thank anyone who can offer help with this issue. My guess its somewhere in the network settings. But I'm clueless at this point.

2. Macs4u macrumors 6502

Hi,

If your security on your router is WPA or anything other than WEP thats what will be killing your download speed.

Change your security from WPA to WEP and that will fix it. The macs have terrible drivers for WPA

Matt

3. Ravenx2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

half way there.

It took a while to figure out how to get the airport extreme to even allow WEP. NEwer ones only give options for WPA/WPA2. But after finding out an option click will show the WEP I managed to get it set to that.

Unfortunately, the speed only improved marginally to 150 KB/s.

So we are closer to finding out whats going on, but not quite there yet.

Thanks for the tip... it may be the key to the rest of the puzzle.

4. Ravenx2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Played around about another hour with it still no luck. Queer that my macbook, iphone, and ipad have no issues. Just the iMac. Hopefully whatever it is gets fixed with Lion. You would think there should be no compatibility issues between iOS/OSX software and the WAP/WAP2 default on the airport extreme. After all the whole system is now apple and less than a year old. Making me lose a little faith.