D-Link DWA-140 + Airport Extreme = dropped connection every 30 seconds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamesryanbell, Nov 30, 2009.

1. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

This forum has always helped me with all of my mac problems. If you guys can help me figure this problem out, I would SINCERELY appreciate it. I'm all out of options here. I've got my mom's Gateway Quad-Core desktop PC (running Windows 7) hooked up at my house for the time being. I have an Airport Extreme as my router, and also an Airport Express used as a network extender. I hooked up the Airport Express this morning, and that's all configured correctly and working properly (so it's not an out-of-range issue). The Gateway Desktop has a full 5-bar connection, and is running a USB D-Link DWA-140 wireless network adapter. The problem is that it cuts the connection literally about every 30 seconds.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) Installed the updated D-link drivers. Didn't work.

2) Installed the NEWER, updated Ralink drivers (parent company for D-link...the DWA-140 adapter has the RT-2870 inside, so I used the appropriate driver, which I thought surely would fix it...that's what everyone told me to do thus far). Didn't work.

3) Checked my USB Power Settings in control panel and set them to never put the ports to sleep. Rebooted. Didn't work.

4) Right-clicked the adapter under "devices" and checked the power management settings. Set them to "maximum performance" (that's all I could do).

I'm out of options. Any ideas? Any links to better drivers? ANYTHING? Thanks so much. I know it's a stretch that it's an Apple-related issue, but none of the PC guys could help me, and I figured maybe it's related to an airport setting?

Thanks for reading, and thanks even more in advance for any advice.

2. dashcs macrumors regular

No clue about the windows computers so I'm going to focus on the network itself.

At this point even with a extended network you still might have interface.
    With airport utility you can change the network channel,that would help if another network is nearby or a cord less phones in the house if they are on the same channel.

Also if that USB adapter is a N.
    It could be that the network itself is set for 801.11 G/B
    You can change your network in airport utility to just a N network,which get you better range speed and less interface.

However any G devices wont connect,like a PS3/Wii,iPhone,old computers,etc

3. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I've messed with changing the channel on the Airport Extreme, but the phone always seems to be an issue anyway. Strange, but I think that's a separate issue. Regarding this issue though, these problems happen even when the phone isn't being used. :/

I need to keep the B/G/N all active too...don't really want a sole "N" network because of my PS3, iPhone, etc. I'm hoping that's not the only solution.

Thanks for the info though.

Anything else I can try??

4. jamesryanbell thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell