D-link Vs Apple extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by al7zn22, Feb 25, 2008.

1. al7zn22 macrumors newbie

I want to get A wireless Router,
    which one is the best,
    Apple Extreme or DIR-655 > Xtreme N Gigabit Router

I was own Apple extreme in the past and it was always disconnect

which one Do u prefer?

2. dimonay macrumors member

I personally do not own a Apple Extreme, but when I used it I got very good wireless speeds transferring from one computer to another.

However, I own the D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router and I can say that the performance is very close. I can't benchmark since I'm not near an Airport Extreme, but I can say the wireless speeds (along with the gigabit ethernet ports) sport very good speeds.

I'm sure the new Airport Extreme do not have issues that you experience now, but regardless of decision you'll have a very good router :D.

3. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Just today, I went ahead and ordered the D-Link DIR-665. It was a tough decision, as both routers are very highly rated, but in the end, I found more positive reviews on the D-Link than I did on the Apple.

All the negative reviews regarding the Apple were the same... Endless dropped connections, machines being unable to connect and the firmware updates still failing to resolve this.

Whereas most of the negative reviews of the D-Link were very minor. Most dealt with the fact that it was based on 802.11n Draft 2.0, as are all the current n routers. There were very few negative reviews regarding real problems with the D-Link.

After seeing that the DIR-665 was an editor's choice in numerous publications, including PC Magazine, I decided it was a better choice than the AirPort Extreme. However, it does have a useless USB port that can't share a printer like the AE can.

I also bought a new Motorola Surfboard SB5120 cable modem to go along with the new router.