D-link wireless router wont accept iPhone wi-fi mac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sir S.A.B., Oct 29, 2009.

1. Sir S.A.B. macrumors member

Im using a wireless d-link router that a friend set-up so we could piggy back off the internet a mutual friend has in his room,

for one reason or another, when I attempt to add my iPhone wi-fi mac address to the mac filter list, it says it is an invalid mac address (mines begins in "04")

does anyone know how I can get around this or if there is a fix action I can take?

2. Acronym macrumors 68000

im not sure about a work around but if you dont mind me asking what does adding your iphones mac address to the routers filter do?

3. strike1555 macrumors 6502

It's called wireless security. The op's router is probably configured to only allow connections from specified mac addresses.

4. mpshay macrumors 6502

Use WPA instead of MAC adress filtering. Spoofing a MAC address is pretty easy so there is very little value in that method of security.

However, I did try it and my Dlink had no problem with the MAC address of my iPhone

5. hsk macrumors regular

Yep, you'll have to turn off MAC filtering to add your iPhone's MAC address and then turn it back on.

6. njl macrumors regular

also, use WPA2 with AES and be sure and use the longest password it will take: 63 characters