D@%n You AT&T!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shadrap, Feb 11, 2011.

1. shadrap macrumors 6502

Because of AT&T's new unlimited mobile to any mobile plan, I am having to rethink everything. Don't get me wrong, I do love my iPhone on Verizon. But with this new plan minus discounts AT&T is $50 a month cheaper.

Verizon family plan with enough minutes to qualify for friends and family minus the employee discount is $170

AT&T plan with the lowest family plan to qualify for unlimited mobile to mobile minus the FAN discount is $120

Verizon in my area is everywhere, not gonna drop a call and I get 1.5 mbps on average.

AT&T is in most areas, 4-5 dropped calls a month, 3G is only in the cities, which I do not live in, but work in on a regular basis.

I am a business owner also and drive in and around 3G and Edge areas all day. So, what would you do guys? Honest answers please as I will try to repay the favor when asked.

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Pick the carrier that you can access 3G in the places you frequent most. If I'm paying $30 for unltd data I want access. I get 1-3 dropped calls/month which isn't significant for me.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd pick the carrier/plan that provides me with the best coverage. Why save a few bucks on a plan if you're dropping calls or not getting full 3G.

4. HPLouis macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me. I live in NYC and was tired of the dropped calls (they have gotten better though). I was ready to head to Verizon yesterday when the Anytime Mobile came out. It stopped me dead in my tracks.

I had 1400 minutes (the minimum for the A-List and the same minimum for the Verizon Friends and Family). Because of the A-List, I was banking over 1200 minutes a month since I mainly call cell phones.

Now with the AnyTime Mobile, I dropped down to a 700 minute plan and it comes out to be cheaper to stay with AT&T. I can deal with dropped calls (and their service is improving) to save $50 or so a month.

Weigh the pros and the cons. For me, saving $50 a month is worth more than a couple of dropped calls. That might now be the case for you however.

Henry

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How's the 3G data coverage in NYC? I hear it's getting better?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Buy whatever phone on whatever plan that gives you the best service. If this is your business then you don't have time to dick around with shoddy service.

7. mets1125 macrumors regular

i am in the same boat. We are on the 1400 min plan now, but we will need the 2000 min plan on vzw. My diff is about $30 betwen the 2 as the Fan is a couple % higher with ATT. :confused:

8. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

you jumped to Verizon, you should stay with Verizon... After all "Yes, you can hear now"

9. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Why did I think there was free mobile to mobile mintues all along?? AT&T to another AT&T.

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

There always was free AT&T to AT&T. This new thing is AT&T mobile to ANY mobile(Verizon t-mobile etc), inbound and outbound.

11. shadrap thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Any other ideas?

12. elan123 macrumors 6502

ya, stick with verizon

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

It's all about opportunity cost.

Is better coverage worth $600 per year to you?

As a business owner, if (depending on the type of business) a dropped call might mean a lost client then that already might be an even bigger cost.

As for data, if you're out on business and get a good signal then it's great, but if you're working then I'm not sure how much you'll be able to sit on your phone. If you don't have data in your leisure area (ie. your house, when you go out with fam/friends) and there may not be wifi in those areas then it's also costing you to pay for data that you can't use.

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

No one ever mentions rollover minutes. This is also a major plus!

15. kre62 macrumors 68000

I'd say save the cash and stick with AT&T. The 5 will be out in 4 months with HSPA+, and with defectors leaving and AT&T investing a ton into their network, things are just going to get better. Besides when youre at home youre using a desktop or on wifi right? The data use will be when you are on the run, and you'll be on the run during the day at work, where you have good 3G coverage.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Exactly why I don't care for the mobile to mobile plan. I have a ton of rollover minutes. I only use about half of my talk time every month.

17. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I think this is overstated. If you have your plan sized accordingly, you shouldn't ever go into rollover minutes. In my almost three years with AT&T I never once dipped into my rollover pool. And it's not that we simply 'overpurchased' on the plan - we just always seemed to come very close to the plan limit, but never actually exceed it.

18. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

With my family, lately it seems we dip into the Rollover Minutes every other month, so for us it is definitely useful.

19. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I agree fully on this. My wife and I share minutes, the 550 per month plan, and after a year, have roughly 1500 rollover. We dip into them occasionally, but it's pretty rare. While I think the mobile to any mobile thing is fine, it does no good for me. We both use the 200 per month text messaging at $5 per month, so going up to the unlimited plan is stupid. We don't text each other, but use IM instead, so 200 per month is plenty when needed.

On top of that, I get a 20% FAN discount, so our total monthly bill, 2 phones, data, text, etc. etc., is like $96. I've thought about upping the minutes when I read about the A-list, but hell, having to go to the 1400 minute plan would be even dumber, LOL. Rollover is definitely a huge positive, IMHO of course.

20. nosser macrumors regular

+1

21. iserian macrumors 6502

rollover minutes get soggy in milk.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's not overstated at all. Rollover is great and saves me up to $360 a year.

I have 450 minutes talk time. Some months I use about 3x that amount & some months I barely use 1/2 that amount. Instead of spending $20 more for 900min or $30 more for unlimited, the months that I barely use minutes covers the months that I go way over my regular minutes.

23. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

^^ FTW

You're a business owner, and this should be a bottom line type of decision.

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

25. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

Verizon is rolling out free mobile to mobile on any network. Currently Texas and Louisiana users get it. With AT&T announcing a similar plan VZ will probably speed up the rollout.

I'm in Louisiana, so my minutes only apply to landlines on my VZ iPhone. So patience is probably the key if you've already switched.