D300 or D300s?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Buried, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Buried macrumors newbie

I'm having a hard time deciding between these two, practically in all respects they're exactly the same apart from :

- D-movie mode
    - Dual memory card slots
    - Better sensor cleaner
    - Info menu with quick change settings
    - Dedicated info button
    - Center OK button
    - Heavier
    - D300s badge to show off (obviously a joke) and continued Nikon support.

In my country, the differences between a D300 and D300s is 350$

Is it worth paying the extra 350$ for continued firmware updates and support from Nikon?

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Are you buying/comparing these new, or used? If the D300 is used and the D300s is new with warranty, the price difference is reasonable. If you want video capability, the choice is obvious. Otherwise, there is almost little difference between them for still images. I use a D300, and the sensor cleaner must be pretty good since I've never had to remove any dust manually from my camera's sensor, and I've shot in mud, dust, rainy conditions. Also, the CF card door is better designed (in my opinion) which was changed on the D300s. I don't think anything on your list would justify to me the price difference unless video was important. That's really the difference between them, but the video is limited to 720p HD @ 24fps max. which is quite good, but in a spec war looks behind the times.