D300S or the rumored D7000, which specs look best.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Sep 6, 2010.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

Rumored new D7000:

•100% viewfinder
    •Dual SD memory card slots
    •Magnesium-alloy body
    •16.2MP CMOS sensor
    •Expeed 2
    •1080 HD video @24p | 720 @30p (not sure about those)
    •20 min video recording (up from 5min on the D90)
    •Save images from video (similar to the D3s)
    •AF during video
    •Stereo mic input for video
    •6 fps
    •Virtual horizon (like the D300s)
    •One touch video and/or live view (similar to the D3100)
    •Improved ISO range: 100-25600
    •39 AF points
    •Wireless flash
    •Weather proof (like the D300s)
    •New battery system
    •Expected price: $1199 for body only
    •Update: no swivel display

or current D300S. Which camera looks better....

2. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Can't you wait till they actually announce the new camera before asking us to compare? :rolleyes:
    Also, you're right, any camera is only as good as its specifications. Nothing else matters. :cool:

3. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Not sure what the point here is...? If you're just asking which specs look best, why don't you just compare them? Also, these aren't official specs anyway, but presumably, like with most current electronic hardware, cameras have become part computer and usually the latest "specs" beat the older ones. I'd expect the D7000 to have specs in many cases that are better than previous models... but if you just wait, the newer ones after that (D400/D800/D4, etc) will probably also be better. They will also target a different market.

Something like pickup trucks-- you have the lighter model which is bought for its occasional use as a work vehicle, primary purpose is a personal vehicle. The super-duty, industrially rugged model is bought as a working vehicle. Maybe the same engine, lots of the same features. Perhaps the specs on the "personal" truck might even be better in some areas. But the "working" truck will be tougher, more durable, stronger, more capable of hauling a load or towing... it's all about what you want to do, and do you need to count on it to earn a living.

Maybe a better question would be: which one is a better photographic tool for my purposes? Life is more than specs, as any Mac user will know.

4. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

At least that's what they tell themselves.

(kidding! I should know better than to make jokes like that on the MR forums hehe)

5. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Well, we macheads have been known to value somethings more than others... and that knock you'll be hearing on your door sometime late tonight... after midnight... well, don't worry too much about it... heh heh... ;)

6. npropes macrumors member

Its not just about the specs. It also greatly depends on what lenses you're going to be using. The D7000/D90 replacement may not include an autofocus motor in a further effort to make people buy new glass.

If you shoot only AF-S/AF-I lenses and have a decent body which you don't need to replace right now, hang on for the new camera.

Video is crap on DSLRs compared with even the cheapest HD camcorders...so get a SD camcorder instead of trying to do video on the DSLR. Megapixels aren't everything unless you're printing poster/mural sized.

7. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

Do those cheap HD camcorders allow you to use different lenses? That's the biggest advantage I see with using a DSLR as a video recorder. I've also seen some very nice looking movies made with DSLRs.

8. Edge100 macrumors 68000

With cameras, as with most things in life:

Real > Not real

9. funkyc macrumors regular

funkyc

exactly i'd take the camera that i can walk into a store and buy today over the one that doesn't actually exist in stores yet :rolleyes:

when the new one is officially released, then that's a different story ;)

10. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

^ ^ ^ ^

+1 to the two previous posts. One thing I can say is the D300s takes better photos than the D7000. At least today it does. ;)

11. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Is the D7000 going to be replacement for the D5000?

I find the numbering schemes camera companies use very confusing. Is there some easy way to interpret the numbers Nikon uses?

12. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

No - it's the replacement for the D90, although some now think that it may be a middle-ground hybrid between the D90 & D300 as it's gaining a fair few D300 like abilities.

With the D3100 out it does place the D5000 in needs-upgrade territory. It's now cheaper than the D3100, the D3100 offers 95% of the same spec (and better in some areas) which is odd as the D5000 was the mid-range consumer camera. Mind you, the new lower price has made my housemate quite happy as she upgraded her D60 w/18-70mm to a D5000 & 18-55mm VR for £50...

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

If the so called replacement D7000 does come out then you will still be waiting for it to "ship" in either October or more likely November. And still it could be out of stock by the time you decide to purchase and will have to wait until next year.

I would consider either a used/discounted D90, D300 or D300s. Maybe that the specs on the D7000 are better but if you find a really good deal on a D90/D300/s then don't wast too much time debating in your head.

14. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

You're not wrong - Nikon used to be terrible at actually getting the new gear into stores after the announcements - 3 months was pretty much the norm.

But the D3100 will be out just over a month after being announced - which isn't bad at all. I'm hopeful the D7000 will be out in time for a trip to NYC I've got in early Dec...

15. trjwv thread starter macrumors regular

D7000 to be announced tonight at midnight eastern time, http://nikonrumors.com/
    Specs looks good but not sure if better all around camera than the D300S.
    It appears to be a replacement for the D90 only and not a replacement for the D300S.

16. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

You may want to have a look at the comparison of specs between the D7000 and D300s on dpreview - the D7000 is either equal or superior in all areas apart from number of AF points and shooting rate.
    That being said, the ability to stick with CF and the larger body size may sway some - I do prefer the larger size, but now the D7000 is here and exceeds my expectations, there's no competition between the two. The D400 I'm sure will redress that balance.

17. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

18. sweetie81 macrumors regular

Answer can only be the D7000. The image quality (sensor) and everything else really makes a leap from generation to generation. Plus if you live in the UK the D7000 is cheaper than the D300s.

Don't get me wrong both are wonderful cameras and the D300s is more than capable of producing superb images with the right lenses. But remember that a camera will last you a very long time. So I would get the latest and then invest in high quality lenses.

19. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I like the new D7000. Really would love to see how it does with controlling noise in low light shots.

20. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

for me, the body size makes a big difference. i currently shoot with a D200. if i were to ever upgrade, it would have to have the same feel. i played with a D90 and it felt like a toy in my hands. that being said, the D7000 has an impressive set of features.

21. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I've had a D70s (predecessor to the 80, 90 and now 7000), and now own the D300s. The 300 is far more rugged. The body is metal, meaning that my 80-400 table-leg lens won't stress the frame as badly (my theory why the D70s died BTW). It is very well weather-resistent as well, I'm not as worried taking pictures near sand or ocean water.

It accepts both CF and SD cards - so I have a 16GB in CF slot and an 8GB EyeFi in the SD slot - you can copy from one card to the other, backup, etc.

It is very good at low-light situations.

I'm completely in love with the 8fps.

Has an internal Interval timer.

Etc...

Nutshell - it's a Pro body, so it is built for Pro needs and abuse.

"Downside" it does not have an IR window. I put that in quotes as I have found with the interval timer and the wired remote (with timer) it is not needed.