D3100 vs T2i

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pgohlke, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

Ok I am looking at getting the nikon D3100 or the canon T2i as my first DSLR. I really like that the T2i has a higher resolution sensor and people say it performs better in low light and that it has audio in for video. But the nikon is cheaper and I have a 2 old nikon lenses, although they do not have internal focusing motors so they would be manual only. So was wondering which to get, people that have owned either of these cameras please chime in.

2. Razeus macrumors 601

Nikon.

Unless video is important than photograph quality, the T2i

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

T2i
    comparison: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i-vs-Nikon_D3100

I'm not a fan of Nikon vs Canon talk because you get the fanboys all riled up. I only want to point out that there's a lot of money to be spent on lenses over the years. Think more about the brand and lens options than the model camera.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

A D3100 for just over 1000kr? 9:1 price difference? That sounds unlikely. It doesn't, however, detract from the positive sides of the 550D. I can tell you from personal experience that you'll have a really hard time getting the focus right on MF lenses with the inferior viewfinder of any budget DSLR. Live view works, but then again you can get an adapter and use those same lenses on the 550D.

Hardware-wise they give pretty much the same performance. I suggest, as is usually suggested in these threads, that you go to a store and see which feels better in your hands.