D3s is official

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by FX120, Oct 13, 2009.

1. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/14/nikon-d3s-is-officially-official-bringing-its-iso-extremes-in-l/

[​IMG]

Vaaaary eeeeeinteresting...

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

We're done here. :eek:

3. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

ISO 102400, Quiet Mode, HD Video along with the Nikon durability and other features make this camera amazing.

Along with the new 70-200mm VRII I'm in heaven. There is a review for it here. The results are amazing!

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Wow. A new full-frame sensor of 12.1MP (if I'm reading this correctly). Nikon seems steadfastly committed to high-ISO at the expense of resolution. Heck, someone needs to do it (Canon sure isn't interested in that trade-off).

5. Renderz macrumors 6502

I'm worried about Nikon's tradition of making jello wobble videos! If they've fixed that then I'll consider it. If not, I'm going Canon. Enough of this messing around.

6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Aren't photo's at that high ISO gonna be pretty much unusable?

7. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

What ISO in particular?

[​IMG]

That's 25,600 on the D3/700 sensor.

8. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

And the hype now moves from the 7D to the D3s..... keeping 12MP and amazing ISO is a really solid move. HOWEVER, that being said, when you stuff 21MP on an 8x10 vs 12MP on an 8x10, which do you think will have greater detail? It's a tricky tradeoff. 100% viewing on an LCD isn't going to replicate the same effect as a print ya know...

I have a question. What exactly happens when you go to the 'custom function' ISO levels? My 5DII has a base of 100-6400, but expandable to 12,800 and 25,600. What is the difference between expandable ISO and the base ISO (other than speed, obviously). Is it kinda gimmicky like Digital zoom? Does it really less on physics and more on digital guessing? This D3s goes up to 12,800 base and then out for a grand slam 6 digit expandable. Does my question make any sense?

9. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

10. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Wow! That's impressive!
    I was talking about the so called "6 Digit ISO" numbers, which are a bit scary. Seemed to me like there would be way too much noise.
    For that photo, is it the straight JPEG?

11. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

No, it's converted from a RAW file (which I'm not sure what happened to).

I expect excellent usability out of the full range of normal ISOs (meaning through 12,000). Beyond 25,000 is as much a mystery to me as anyone.

This D3s goes up to 12,800 base and then out for a grand slam 6 digit expandable. Does my question make any sense?

I think it just means that the normal range is rated as being fully usable, and everything beyond that is more "if necessary, but probably best not to go there unless you have to." There's nothing gimmicky about the D3/700's expanded ISO ability. I've used it many times for meaningful shots.

[​IMG]

Another 25,600 ISO shot. No noise reduction other than the automatic kind applied in the camera on high ISO shots. If you have a Nikon DSLR and shoot high ISO images often, best to use Capture NX 2 for them.

12. georgemann macrumors regular

georgemann

Seattle, Washington & Siem Reap, Cambodia
  13. ArcspacE macrumors member

14. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'll take two...! And, in this case I'd take the ISO over more pixels. It can change entirely the way one takes pictures after hours, especially with fast glass. Handheld shots at a reasonable shutter speed, available light... that's what I'm talking about...!!! And I image the results from ISO 800 on down are stellar. Man, I can remember when anything over ISO 400 was a noisy mess at full size.

15. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

If it can go to 102400, I'm thinking it can probably do up to 50000-ish cleanly. That's why this might be exciting and why Nikon wants $5200 for it.

16. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

17. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I'm thinking 6400 very cleanly and probably a bit higher than that in terms of normal usability.

18. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

You mean 8x10 inches? You need 3000x2400 pixel^2, i. e. 7.2 megapixels. You won't notice the extra resolution of the Canon at all. Or am I missing something here?
    If I understand it properly, it's calibration: the camera is calibrated so that you can use equipment and tell it that you use, say, ISO 3,200 on your camera. Does anyone know for sure?

19. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

If I understand it properly, it's calibration: the camera is calibrated so that you can use equipment and tell it that you use, say, ISO 3,200 on your camera. Does anyone know for sure?

I can't figure out what you mean here.

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

If this keeps up, I'll have to switch to Nikon. The only thing holding me back right now is the $$,$$$ I've already invested in Canon glass. I'm putting hold on getting anymore lenses until the dust settles on the MP vs ISO war.:p

21. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

My understanding is that it's a software push of the highest base ISO, not an actual sensitivity level of the sensor. So it's no different than what you could do at the base ISO with some post processing afterward.

22. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

*yawn*

Wow, what a predictable release Nikon. Stick an 's' on the end and do a few piddling upgrades. 720p video? Sorry, but with your track record of video issues I wouldn't touch a D3s with a barge-pole, even though you claim to have improved it (you said that on other models too, and it wasn't the case). Hey, at least you'll get some idiots upgrading from their D3 and wasting money.

High ISO? Appeals to some people (see above). but frankly I'd be embarrassed sending an image at such high ISOs to clients. Sure, they just about look ok on a computer screen, scaled down massively, but if you try and do a decent sized print you'll be in grain heaven. Lack of detail, just a muddy, blurry mess. Great. Give me a fast lens any day.

Nikon's interesting launches are the ones that don't involve the letter "s". The original D3 was great, and the D3x also for a certain target market. This one is just a (slight) feature bump.

23. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Nikon has done the mid-cycle "s" upgrades for years and years. Nikon sticks to its schedule as few other companies do. The D300s was a slight feature bump, just as the D2Xs was and the D70s and so on.

What high ISO number are you being dismissive of, peskaa? Anything from 25,600 down should be very usable. If you're shooting at high ISO values, whoever you're shooting for will likely be impressed that you can get anything decent at all.

Sending a decent image to a client is better than sending nothing at all, I would wager. If you're in a darkened restaurant and you quietly capture a moment that no one else gets because you're the only one who can shoot at an extremely high ISO, no one is going to be complaining. Same for a wedding reception, I'm sure.

I used a fast lens for the images I took above, that being my 85/1.8. I still went to 25,000 to get a fast enough shutter speed to remove any shakiness in the image.

24. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I will be grabbing mine before the end of the year. Assuming availability is reasonable of course.

25. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

It used to be people wanted the least amount of grain/noise/ISO now everyone is touting the 6 figures?

This camera only goes as low as ISO100...thats kind of sad actually. :confused: