D500 VS D700

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by circuitt, Oct 3, 2017.

  1. circuitt macrumors member

    Nov 3, 2016
    Ok I'm buying a refurbished Mac Pro 6,1 today. 6 core (upgrading to 8) 512 flash.
    Question is.. should I get the d500 or d700 ? there is a 184.88 dollar difference between the two after taxes. This is to hold me over until the new Mac Pro's are released and would like to add value were I can to separate this from all the CPU swapped D300's you see on ebay. I'm also getting apple care to help with resale value and some protection. I'm guessing it would be worth around 2k (1k hit) when it comes time to off it.
    either way , would the d700 be advantageous for a mere 184.88 dollars?
  2. aedigitaltv macrumors newbie


    Dec 23, 2013
    What are your main tasks with the MP? Out of the many 2013 MP models our company has purchased, the D500's have had the least issues. The D700 models purchased have had the thermal throttling issues and GPU replacements 2 times. If you get AppleCare, then go with the D700's but be prepared to have them replaced if you do a lot of 4K editing as that has been the culprit with our D700's. The MP overheats and introduces lines into the exported file. If your short term workload is not that heavy, go with the D500 and save a few bucks for the new MP model you'll be replacing it with.... when that will actually happen nobody knows right now. We could see a preview in 2018 and the new MP version possibly could not ship till 2019. Or Apple could surprise us and shows us a ready to ship product next spring/summer.
  3. circuitt thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 3, 2016
    Yeah my workload isn't much as far as video editing goes, though I DO have two 4k monitors.
    I play around in FCP, but it's mostly for Audio Production. I would just get the d300's but those have been discontinued
    so buying a d300 and trying to sell them in a sea of d300's already out there would be a pain plus the jump isn't too bad from d300-500 anyways.
  4. CC88 macrumors regular

    Sep 29, 2010
    I own the same machine with 2xD700.

    Buy the D700 they worth the 184.88 dollars difference.
  5. circuitt, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

    circuitt thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 3, 2016
    Yeah went with the d500 and put the extra towards AppleCare. Don't think I'd utilize it. As good as a 500hp car sitting in traffic. The thought of possibly having down time sending a machine in to get fixed due to heat issues on the D700's. Doesn't sound like fun while in the middle of a project.
  6. CC88 macrumors regular

    Sep 29, 2010
    Haven't had any issue with my D700. I work with FCPX, DaVinci, Luxology Modo.

    But, reading closely your post you're not a video guy but an audio one. So D500's are fine.
  7. circuitt thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 3, 2016
  8. CC88 macrumors regular

    Sep 29, 2010
    It doesn’t happened anymore. Maybe the cable? But if you look around both D500 and D700 had gpu hang. Hope you are lucky enough to buy one without any issue ;)

Share This Page

7 October 3, 2017