D7000 Vs. 7D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JuiceyJuice, May 10, 2011.

1. JuiceyJuice, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

JuiceyJuice macrumors newbie

Ok, so I'm looking to upgrade from my D3000, and I need some help deciding between the Nikon D7000 and the Canon 7D.

I only have 3 lenses, so I'm not horribly invested in Nikon right now. Also, they both feel great in my hands, but the spin wheel on Canon is kind of annoying, at least in the little bit of time I've spent with it.

The 7D has been out for a little while now, but it still seems to match or even do better than the D7000. And from the rumor websites, a successor won't be out until possibly late 2012.

I'm also selling my Canon HV40, so I do want decent video capabilities in order to make short films. I know Canon is definitely superior in video terms, but is it THAT much better? I wouldn't want to trade off too much just to have a little bit better video capabilities.

Thoughts?

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

If I was starting from scratch today I would probably choose a D7000, and you being used to the D3000 probably means you'd have an easier time with the Nikon. Less hesitation with buttons means more shooting.

The review at DPReview has some video samples up if you want to see: http://dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/page18.asp

3. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

as a d7000 owner i am biased but i have to say i would be hard pressed with the video "better" thing. most complaints by people is about the frame rate as both cameras WILL shoot in full hd and honestly the video quality is great from the d7k. The autofocus during video is a welcome addition but it is sometimes a bit slow and not as good as a camcorder.
    Now in terms of upgradability and change etc.: I made the mistake of, at one time, switching to a canon 5d mark 2 from being years in Nikon land. I struggled and it was difficult to adjust to a new system once i was used to one already. 2 months later i sold the 5d mark 2. It takes great photos but mine were mostly crap simply because i could not bend my head around the different way of doing things. I might not have invested as much time and effort as I should have but if you have a couple of months of terrible shots (out of focus, blurry etc. etc.) simply because you didnt read the manual and took the time to relearn everything, it turns you off.

The 7d is a great camera and in some sense i would say superior to the d7k but not by much. Up to you but be aware that there is a learning curve when you switch systems. So far I have to say i love the d7k.

Of course, I can be wrong...
    //f

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Rent and shoot a 7D for a few days- then the choice should be easy.

Paul

5. JuiceyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies so far. I have been leaning towards the D7000 ever since it came out, especially once they issued a fix for the hot pixels issues.

In addition to my initial post, to those who do own the D7000, how do you like the kit lens?

I already have 18-55mm and 55-200, as well as a 35mm lens, so the 18-105mm is already covered. But B&H (although out of stock right now) offers a pretty good deal on their deluxe accessory kit for $2150 when you add it to the camera and lens. Then all I would need is to invest in a much better tripod, along with a 12-24 tokina lens I've been wanting and some type of decent macro lens.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

The best way to answer that question is to actually write down why you don't like the D3000. Sort the list. Do not list things like "need beter AF". Be specif and say "current AF did not track motion in basket ball game". By objective. Writing forces you to make clear factual statements.

Then see how much of that list also applies to the D7000 and 7D.

I read you list of lenses. I looks like you are about ready to start buying some good pro-quality ones. So now is a good time to choose a brand before you buy a kilo-buck class lens.

7. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

What comes in this "deluxe accessory kit"? Usually that stuff is either full of junky quality products or things you don't really need.

I don't think the 18-105 is so much (or any) better than what you have now as to warrant changing, unless you're really dying for the extended focal range on one lens (in which case something like an 18-200 would probably be a better choice anyways). I'd go with body only and use the lenses you have currently. As for accessories, a spare battery, some good fast SD cards, plus a (genuine) lenspen is all you really need.

8. JuiceyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Kit includes:

-SanDisk 16GB Extreme SDHC Memory Card
    -Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW Bag (Black)
    -Nikon EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery (1900mAh)
    -NEW 3-Year SAGEMAX Protection Plan
    -General Brand 67mm UV Filter - Glass
    -General Brand 67mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter
    -Purosol PUOC-10078 Optical Lens Cleaning Small Kit
    -Pearstone CAPKEEPER 2 Lens Cap Holder
    -Pearstone FreeWave Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon w/Mini-USB Connection
    -Nikon MB-D11 Multi Power Battery Pack
    -Pearstone LCD Screen Protector for Nikon D90, D300, D300S, D700, D3000

9. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Thats one of the more practical "Accessory Kits" I have ever seen!

All the ones you see on E-Bay come with utterly useless junk ie; table top tripod and lens cleaning solution.

I still wouldn't bother with the accessory kit though.

10. mousemd macrumors member

As a canon 7d owner, I am biased towards the canon. Yet, if started from the beginning I MIGHT choose the Nikon route but I am comfortable with the Canon series now. I think u already answered your question when u mentioned that you already had a Nikon. Stick with the same system ...

11. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

MattSepeta's right, it's pretty decent as far as accessory kits go, but I too would pass. There is still too much specialty/unnecessary stuff in it.

-Memory card seems alright. 16GB's pretty big though, may be better/cheaper to find 2x8GB or even 4x4GB cards.
    -Top loading bag- okay if it happens to fit your gear. Bags/cases are very personal and everybody's needs are different. Better to go out and find one that really works for you
    -Extra battery, check
    -Some may like the protection plan, IMHO they are not cost effective
    -"General Brand" UV and Polarizer? Pass. Run away. Fast.
    -You'd probably be better off with a lenspen and/or rocket blower for lens cleaning
    -lens Cap holder? Most useless thing on the list. Pass
    -Wireless Shutter- could be useful but Nikon's own ML-L3 is only $15, and can be purchased separately if you find you actually need it
    -MB-D11 grip is useful for some, but quite a specialty item- make sure you need it before buying
    -LCD screen protector? Most Nikon DSLRs already come with one. No need for 2...

12. JuiceyJuice thread starter macrumors newbie

When you put it that way, yeah, doesn't seem worth the extra $500 on top of the extra $300 I'd need to spend for the kit lens. $800 could go towards better glass and a tripod.

13. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

the D7000 accepts the UHS-1 memory cards (45 MBS) not sure if the 7D is compatible for speeds that high. Certainly not a deciding factor but you mentioned shooting video and faster memory never hurts

14. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I've shot Nikon for 17 years now, and Canon DSLRs just jack me all up. I have two D7000s, and an MB-D11 grip. I love the grip for the simple fact that I can hot-swap a fresh battery while shooting time-lapse photography, and that comes in very handy when doing a 12+ hour time-lapse away from a power source. In fact, it's essential. That, and having a pair of 64GB SD cards inside.

For video, I prefer my Canon video camera... an old XH-A1... over the D7000 video, but I'm still pretty new at shooting DSLR video. Maybe if I learn some new tricks to make it work better, I'll change my mind.

The D7000 is a phenomenal camera for the price, obviously.

15. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

personally I think you should stick with you current lenses, forget the 18-105mm, get the 11-16 f2.8 Tokina instead of the 12-24 (you are already covered all the way down to 18mm with your kit lens, why the huge overlap?) and get a decent tripod with the 800 bucks saved from the kit and the lens.
    I have the mb-d11 grip as well and while it is a specialty item for some, i couldn't live without it anymore. Note: It will not give you any more speed just additional battery space.
    but yes i would say rather get good glass instead of the accessory kit thing...

16. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I'm not sure you're comparing the right cameras here: the D7000 is best compared to Canon's 60D while the 7D is a rival to the D300s. Hence, the 7D has some advantages since it is further up the food chain, e. g. a more durable body and a larger buffer. The D300s doesn't have these deficiencies, but it is due for an upgrade.

That being said, the D7000 is a phenomenal camera, I upgraded from a D80 to a D7000 two months ago. The colors are amazing and it is way too fast. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite additions is a quiet mode. And 6 fps is plenty for the average Joe and beyond. Not too long ago, those speeds were reserved for semi-professional and professional bodies. The D7000's AF system is very, very good, a marked improvement over what I've had (and you're having now). E. g. I found out that my 30 mm Sigma doesn't have a focussing problem, my D80 had a focussing problem :)

I can't help you much when it comes to video since I'm not interested in going that route.

Since you should invest money into lenses, I recommend you have a look at the 60D instead of the 7D. Then compare that to the D7000. I would try out both bodies and pick the one that feels better in your hands.

17. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

The 7D has the advantage of faster framerate and larger buffer as well as slightly better build quality. The D7000 has the advantage of lower noise and lower cost. I am not a video shooter, but I suspect the video might be a little better on the Canon, but that is a guess.

Of course, the Nikon lenses might be an advantage to the D7000 depending on what they are and if you are happy with them.

For the record, I shoot with a D700, D300s and D7000. I think the D7000 is the best value DSLR body Nikon has ever made. Everything it doesn't have are not things that are likely to be showstoppers to most photographers unless high speed action is your primary interest. The image quality is superb, and the noise levels are much lower than what I see out of the camera on images from a friend's 7D. The 7D is a wicked fast body, though, if that is your thing.

18. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

while I agree about the "value of the 7000, I disagree with your noise assessments. I've got bot cameras, along with the 5d2 and D3...(my wife shoots Nikon and I, Canon). DPreview doesn't compare the two direcly but the do compare the 7d and the d300s...and in my opinion, the d300 and d7000 are within a hair of equal on high iso noise. Here is dpreview's quote comparing 7d and d300s noise

"With noise reduction turned off we get a more accurate idea of how noisy these sensors are and the image looks slightly different to what we've seen above in the JPEG section of this page. The Pentax K-7 is much closer to the pack but it also becomes clear that the 7D produces a cleaner image than the 50D and, at very high ISOs, also than the D300S. This explains to a degree the 50D's slightly softer JPEG output at high ISOs. Its JPEG engine has to apply more chroma noise reduction than on the 7D in order to get noise onto the same level."

...and again on chroma noise

"Again, the graphs below confirm what we can see in the sample crops. The 50D produces more chroma noise than the EOS 7D at higher ISOs. The Pentax K-7 is still slightly worse than the Nikon and EOS 7D at very high ISOs but the gap is smaller in RAW. At high ISOs the the 7D and its closest rival, the Nikon D300S, are more or less level in terms of chroma noise."

These findings are similar to mine...my wife replaced her d300s with the d7000 (d300 was stolen). However, that said...and as others have mentioned, these are two different "levels" of cameras. The 60d and d7000 are a much better dollar for dollar comparison, and IMHO, the d7000 is a better buy next to the 60d, Especially if you're already shooting Nik.

Here is the link to the noise tests on 7d

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/page15.asp

...and a little write up about the noise of the d7000 compared tp the Sony A55 and Canon 60d on dpreview

"All the cameras show signs of noise even at the lowest sensitivity settings (remember these samples have noise reduction turned down to zero in ACR) but up to ISO 800 the differences are marginal. At the higher settings the Nikon output is a little cleaner than most cameras in this class but again, the differences are almost too small to be relevant for many photographers. However, the fact that all these ACR converted files look pretty similar when there's more difference in the JPEG output suggests that the Nikon D7000's JPEG engine is doing a slightly better job than some of the competition at higher ISOs. "

So the NR usinng the jpeg engine may give you a little less noise than the 60d, but perhaps not enough to base a decision on? Ymmv

Good luck, IMO...you can't go wrong with either, bot excellent cameras...course, with all else being close to level IQ wise....if you need speed and/or weather sealing, the 7d is a phenomenal camera!

J

19. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

I own both the 300s and 7000 - the high ISO noise isn't really close.

20. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524