d80 -> d90 upgraders satisfied?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pna, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pna macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading my D80 (which in general I've loved) to a used D90, which I estimate would probably cost me about $200-$250. I've loved my D80, but my big complaint has been inconsistent metering in matrix mode. I feel like I've worn out the button on the exposure compensation button trying to try various combinations of landscape scenes to get what I'm looking for. If it weren't for that particular issue, I could easily anticipate using the D80 for a really, really long time to come.

There's a big part of me that just feels like the problem is with me (which it likely is), despite reading lots of reports of other people with similar issues in matrix on that camera. I feel pretty strongly that I should have been able to learn the characteristics of the meter by now and anticipate what it's going to do.

So the question is posed to those of you that have upgraded from a D80 to a D90 -- is the matrix metering really that much improved that you don't think about it and just trust it (within reason)? Or is it just marginally improved?

I'm interested in the video capability of the D90, too, as I really like taking short movies with my canon p&s. I have a suspicion, though, that the requirement of manual focus on the D90 for video means all I'd have are a lot of high resolution, blurred movies.

Thanks for any thoughts / advice. The other purchase I'm considering is the tokina 11-16, as I really like wide angle landscape shots. The tokina (or something similar) will definitely get purchased by the summer when I can get out in the mountains again, the camera upgrade would only put its purchase off by a few months.

2. Afterthecalm macrumors member

I used Matrix metering in the beginning when I didn't know much about exposure settings, then I just dove in to spot metering about a year ago and haven't been back to Matrix since then. You'll still need to use the exposure compensation button from time to time, but you'll get more consistent results. Give it a whirl