Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markusp

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
The Appletv can either decode DD internally or bitstream it via optical or HDMI. Since you are only using two speakers, set the Appletv to decode internally and you are all set.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
The Appletv can either decode DD internally or bitstream it via optical or HDMI. Since you are only using two speakers, set the Appletv to decode internally and you are all set.

Awesome. Just what I was looking for.

That means I don't need a DAD, just a DAC.

Any good recommendations for a DAC ~$100-200? The list provided earlier in this thread is rather... incomplete for lower tiered pricing, and seems to focus on internal cards.

If not a DAC, maybe a receiver with a built in DAC thats pretty cheap?

Any suggestions?

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I think for $400, the DACMagic is the way to go. If that is out of your range, you may want to consider holding off on the DAC until you can justify it.

Just my opinion.

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I think for $400, the DACMagic is the way to go. If that is out of your range, you may want to consider holding off on the DAC until you can justify it.

Just my opinion.

Good lord, there are lots of reasons to spend in that price range, and the DAC Magic is reportedly a very nice unit (though varying opinions about it versus the others I mentioned in the price range).

But if your goal is to get decent sound (i.e. better than a laptop), then the DAC707 I posted earlier should suffice.

Some interesting reading material:

That said, I have not done much research of the lower end stand alone DACs.

Dan

Here's another one to look at:
The Beresford TC-7510 Mk6 (or later) http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread...10-bashing-and-headfi-bashing/15#post_3406166
Consider as good for the money, but not a "giant killer". Seller noted to be a shill on forums.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
The question I have now would be if it would be better to just get a cheap receiver?

Assuming that the ATV (and my computer) will do the DD decode, so I don't need a DAD, that means all I really need is a DAC. However since I'd really like multi-inputs, wouldn't it be wiser to just get a receiver with built-in DAC? I mean don't most come with DAC's nowadays? It's not like their DAC is going to be any worse than the cheaper standalone ones, and since I'm just going to 2.1 wouldn't a receiver be a better choice? I might need an amp, of course, but if I could get away with not getting one that too would be nice.

Any recommendations? Again, price is a concern here, I'd definitely say cheaper is better.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
If you want 5.1 sound from streaming that includes it, you will need a receiver that can decode the sound and send it to the correct speakers. Of course, you need a multi-channel receiver anyway if you intend to actually listen to 5.1 sound with at least 6 speakers. So a stereo receiver won't really be much help there. I'm sure there are some other options, but this is the standard way to listen to multi-channeled theater sound. You don't have to spend that much for a good A-V receiver, but that is really your best option to hear everything the director intended coming out of each speaker.

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
The question I have now would be if it would be better to just get a cheap receiver?

Any recommendations? Again, price is a concern here, I'd definitely say cheaper is better.

I would hazard a guess that almost any of the $100+ DACs will provide better sound than the DAC in an inexpensive receiver, but if you're not that excited by your current amp, and your priorities are heavily weighed towards price over sound quality, then an integrated receiver is definitely the way to go. The newer receivers have come a long way in getting decent sound for modest prices. Especially take a good hard look at last year's models (for example a Denon 2310ci can be had for about $500 and has an awful lot going for it, or even the AVR1910 should be pretty good at about $370), and try not to succumb to feature greed - do you really need 3d and height channels from this year's models?

“If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will." - Yoda

I'm pretty sure Yoda was talking about the dark path of HI-FI. Get what you can afford and be happy. Do not study the ways of the audiophile.

Dan

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
If you want 5.1 sound from streaming that includes it, you will need a receiver that can decode the sound and send it to the correct speakers. Of course, you need a multi-channel receiver anyway if you intend to actually listen to 5.1 sound with at least 6 speakers. So a stereo receiver won't really be much help there. I'm sure there are some other options, but this is the standard way to listen to multi-channeled theater sound. You don't have to spend that much for a good A-V receiver, but that is really your best option to hear everything the director intended coming out of each speaker.

The thing is; I'm not going to be listening in 5.1. Since the ATV doesn't have an analog out, I have to go optical. I might as well continue that for my computer, since its built in DAD/C is homebrew intel. Therefore since I have a 2.1 system, and since I'm going optical out of the ATV, I need a DAC. At that point though I might as well get a receiver, stereo or otherwise, since these usually include a DAC. I realize there's a difference between multi-channel and stereo receivers; that's why I'd like something that's flexible. That is, it'll take my 2.1 system now and anything larger I throw at it later. This would typically mean a multichannel receiver, but I'm not well versed in receivers, which is why I'm asking here :)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I would recommend the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic for approx. $350 or so if you can swing it. It is quite the stellar performer for the money and quite flexible.

I think for $400, the DACMagic is the way to go.

I've heard good things about that one as well. It's even got balanced output via XLR, which is quite the high-end feature usually found in much more expensive media players. Of course you probably have no need nor input options for XLR connectors? :eek:

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
The thing is; I'm not going to be listening in 5.1. Since the ATV doesn't have an analog out, I have to go optical. I might as well continue that for my computer, since its built in DAD/C is homebrew intel. Therefore since I have a 2.1 system, and since I'm going optical out of the ATV, I need a DAC. At that point though I might as well get a receiver, stereo or otherwise, since these usually include a DAC. I realize there's a difference between multi-channel and stereo receivers; that's why I'd like something that's flexible. That is, it'll take my 2.1 system now and anything larger I throw at it later. This would typically mean a multichannel receiver, but I'm not well versed in receivers, which is why I'm asking here :)

I've been spending a lot of time with audio-video gear of late as I am upgrading pretty much everything I have. There are some good A-V receivers that are not too expensive. Personally, I usually get most things from Amazon--my recommendations are Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha. I really haven't looked into any options other than A-V receivers but of course others here have options that may work better for you. Any multi-channel A-V receiver can work just fine in stereo 2-channel mode. I use that mode often for music.

There are plenty of options--this is a pretty good deal here:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V66...ef=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1285782372&sr=1-4

michaell

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
Since you have a Marantz, I figured you might be interested in better than average sound, but a few hundred bucks is a lot for a single component like this. Almost anything you get should sound better than what an iPod or the old Apple TV output via analog, even what appears to be the cheapest with optical inputs:

Dan

Another vote for the DAC Super Pro 707 - I've had one hooked up to my Airport Express for the past couple of years, and it sounds far better than the analog output. I'm not enough of an audiophile to have looked at the more expensive options.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Another (somewhat unconventional) approach to this would be to look for a used MiniDisc deck with digital inputs. That should be pretty inexpensive and many (most?) of them have an option to act as a simple DA converter.

Anyway, that's how I'm doing it with my Airport Express, and it works and sounds great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.