dac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Outkast27, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

Has any one used a dac converter to get better audio quality out to a home stereo? I have some Definitive Technology bp10 speakers powered by an Adcom amp. Id like to play music from my laptop if there was a way to get quality audio out. Any suggestions?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

With no price range or connection preferences, nobody can give you more opinions than a google search would.

3. robvas macrumors 68020

FiiO e7?

4. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is one I have been reading about. Has any one here have any experience with a dac on their macbook pro and home audio?

----------

If I want to play movies from my macbook to my surround sound, is there a dac that is 5.1 surround?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

If the file is encoded properly, a simple optical cable to your receiver would do the trick.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

7. Comet5o4 macrumors member

Not sure what difference it will make, but isn't the fiio e7 meant for headphones? What bit rate is your music? I use a DAC and Amp (JDS labs) for my headphones and bit rate does make a difference too in quality. May want to look into FLAK/Lossless. :)

8. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

my mbpr doesnt have a optical out.

----------

I plan on playing flac and streaming pandora. I still need a dac though.

9. etn macrumors newbie

10. snaky69, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

snaky69 macrumors 603

11. casperghst42 macrumors member

12. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I use a apple airport express into a dac then feed that into my receiver, would that improve sound quality? Do you loose quality by streaming? Even if Im playing flac files? Im new to this and am soaking up all the info i come across. Ive been googlling as well, thanks for the help guys!

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

The airport express compresses audio so you would lose quality.

Have you taken a look at thosr optical cables yet?

14. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not yet, my preamp does not have a optical in, I will be upgrading it. Is a optical in and a toslink 2 different connections? Do either of them bypass the mac internal dac?

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, optical out bypasses the DAC, for a very simple reason.

DAC is short for Digital to Analog Conerter. Optical signal is 100% digital, thus it isn't passed through a DAC until you make it do so. A regular 3.5mm jack is analog, so it has passed through the MBP's DAC.

16. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, so would I need an external dac? or just run the optical out into the receiver?

17. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You may want to check in with the folks that frequent the Digital Audio forum here on MR.

There are a couple of ways to get good sound out of your Mac... one is using the optical cables into an external DAC as mentioned above, but if your receiver/amp lacks a DAC with optical input, you may find the choices rather limited and/or expensive. Stand alone DAC pre-amps tend to be targeted at audiophiles and therefore pricey.

An affordable way to get good audio out of a Mac (or any computer really) is with a USB audio interface (with built in DAC). There are tons of options from $100-$1000 with decent ones going for as little as $200-$250. Apogee is a well respected company that makes these kinds of audio interfaces that target the Mac market exclusively. Their Apogee One for the Mac is perfect for quality stereo output even if you won't make much use of the input capabilities.

18. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much! that's the type of answer I was looking for!