Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbontune

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
United Kingdom
Scenario: Mac with iTunes playing music via an external DAC. Most of the music in iTunes is 16/44.1. Here’s my understanding: the MIDI settings define what is sent to the external DAC regardless of the music file format. For example, if the music file being played in iTunes is 24/96 and the MIDI settings are 16/44.1 then the DAC receives downsampled audio at 16/44.1.

Is there a way to have the MIDI settings dynamically adjust to the actual song file settings that is currently being played in iTunes? Sure, I could configure the MIDI settings to upsample to the highest settings that my DAC can cope with, but this is wasteful of resources on the Mac and if the DAC upsamples anyway, then it would be a waste of time.

TL;DR: is there a way to have iTunes dynamically alter the MIDI interface settings so that it outputs digital audio at the song’s native settings rather than the static value preconfigured in MIDI settings, which could cause upsampling or downsampling on the Mac?

DrCody

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
Nope. There's no way to have iTunes change that on the fly. Also, if it did it would probably cause an audible interference every time it switched. I would choose the higher resolution as the standard option. Yes this would cause every song to be upsampled but if you have to choose...

And I think you are referring to the "audio MIDI setup app".

HvLee

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
The Netherlands
TL;DR: is there a way to have iTunes dynamically alter the MIDI interface settings so that it outputs digital audio at the song’s native settings rather than the static value preconfigured in MIDI settings, which could cause upsampling or downsampling on the Mac?

I use the app BitPerfect for that, it runs in the background and talks to your DAC (in my case a Audioquest Dragonfly), you still use iTunes as normal, but it does output the full resolution without resampling.

Been using it for years. http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/p/what-is-bitperfect.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.