Dad got "hacked" by this popup scareware

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pjny, Apr 21, 2016.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

My father-in-law had this scareware pop up and without consulting anyone called the number.
    Here is the blue-screen of death popup. He is on os x el capitan.

http://imgur.com/FNhstAs

I don't have all the details but he apparently called the number and let them take remote control to "clean" his system. I imagine it is just a browser hijack that sends Chrome to that site. He restarted his browser and it kept on popping up. I checked the 844 number he called but there is no info on it. I am also wondering about the site listed on the popup. It seems like it is a fake site since i googled the site name and couldn't find any listings.

Anyone had this happen to them and can you provide any tips. I think he had a password manager(or icloud keychain) and they probably have access to his email, bank account, etc.

Thanks.

2. Kate. macrumors regular

Job number one is calling the bank and credit card companies. Then changing his most important passwords and the master password if he uses something like LastPass. If it was me, I'd just wipe the system at that point and start fresh. Maybe give him a polite, gentle reminder about scams like that.

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss