Dad left his iPad 2 on the airplane

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eyespii, Oct 6, 2012.

1. eyespii macrumors 6502

He most likely left it in Airplane Mode too, but he doesn't remember. Tried to use findmyiphone from iCloud, but obviously it shows as offline. Anything else I can do other than call the airline?

If he somehow forgot to take it off airplane mode, I'm assuming I could do a remote wipe for him as soon it connected to any wifi network, right? How does that work by the way? Whoever finds it wouldn't have the passcode to get in, so all it has to do is be in range of any wifi network?

Thanks in advance for any ideas

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I'd call the airline. if its passcode locked maybe the finder will turn it in as it would be useless to them. worth a shot, long as it may be

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

With a passcode on it the user won't be able to put it on a wireless network for you to find and wipe it. On the bright side that means they'll need to wipe it out to use it (assuming they don't return it). So your data should be safe.

4. CatsTide macrumors 6502

5. 1goodidea macrumors member

If you remote wipe it you cannot trace it anymore.

You should use findmyiphone to display a message eg "help, I'm lost. If you find this iPad please call xxxxx". Maybe a $50 reward?

You'll need someone who finds it to know how to take it off airplane mode.

You can also make it alert you once it comes back online so you know if the finder is doing the right thing. Maybe once it alerts you you could FaceTime the iPad and see if the finder answers.

If someone finds it and want to keep (steal) it and knows how to do a full wipe you are a bit stick if they never take it off airplane mode first.

6. eyespii thread starter macrumors 6502

so basically, passcode + airplane mode = sol?

7. Jane333 macrumors regular

These are all really good suggestions. I left mine on an airplane last December and never got it back. It was on airplane mode so find my phone did not work. I called the airline and the airports. One of the airports had an online list of all lost items which included a few iPads, but not mine. I inscribed my work number on mthe replacement iPad. :(

8. 1goodidea macrumors member

The alternative is to include contact details in the lock screen image rather than physically inscribing.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Someone sniped my at work. Find my phone and passcodes are kids stuff that a restore will take care of.

Its a crappy feeling losing one of these, like losing your wallet.

I would recommend to your dad that he changes all his passwords to any accounts that were on the ipad.

At least you now know what he Santa will be bringing him