Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xc runner

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
SDD drives are expensive and they don't offer as much memory storage compared to a regular hard drive. Also, as a current college student, I'd recommend buying and sell your books online. The bookstore at any college will rip you off big time. I saved $400 this semester! I figure I'll be able to hopefully make at least $250 of that back.

bindigok

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
Go with the white MacBook. The MB Air is really designed to be a 2nd computer for people to use it on the go. It does not have the same power and storage that the white MB has. I just got out of college, and I had a PowerBook. I was glad for the extra power and storage. I couldn't image using the MB Air as a main computer. You will have lots of music, lots of photos, lots of documents, etc. and more depending on your major.

If you had enough money, I'd say get an iMac as your main computer and MB Air as your mobile computer. But for now stick with the MacBook. In 4 years you can get something better. Plus you can use the money to get the software/accessories you want to get, like an external hard drive or games, or office, or windows. MacBooks are very light and compact, and service the needs of college life much better.

bindigok

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
SDD drives are expensive and they don't offer as much memory storage compared to a regular hard drive. Also, as a current college student, I'd recommend buying and sell your books online. The bookstore at any college will rip you off big time. I saved $400 this semester! I figure I'll be able to hopefully make at least $250 of that back.

Sell your books on Amazon, it the best way to get money from them.

Jphillippe

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
Hey everyone,

exposition:
I am currently a high school senior - soon to be an alumni. I'm currently in a small town in Iowa, but I'll be headed off to college on the West Coast. Since I'll be traveling quite a bit (flights to and from CA) and the distance I'll be walking each day, I want to get a macbook air. Of course, being a longtime PC user I've been nothing short of ecstatic when considering the idea of running around (not literally) with my air.
Earlier today took my mom to Best Buy to show her the computer and familiarize her with it. We got home and she told my dad and that's where this all begins.

conflict:
After telling my dad, he informed me that "You will not be buying a high end Mac. You'll get a middle-of-the-road, average Mac and that will be fine for you." As a champion smartass, as well as an incredibly sarcastic person, I responded with, "Great! So you're paying for it, then?" Since we've both known that I'm paying for my own computer, he said no. I pressed him on this issue and he said, "You'll use your money for books. You have no idea what kind of expenses you're going to encounter. You'll save your money and use that for books and other expenses."
We are fairly well off financially (given the current market and economic situation, which has had an effect on our portfolio), and of course we are trying to save a lot of money in the even that something unforeseen does occur. However, as stated before, this laptop will be purchased with my money. I've worked hard over the past 2 years (and will continue through the summer) and have saved more than enough for at least two years of books and a macbook air and the other things I'll need for college. I am fortunate enough to say that money is not an issue in this matter.

solution?:
What are your thoughts on this? What should I say to my dad regarding his views against my own? I will admit, an extra 2 lbs is nothing to me - I'm an all-district football player and can handle just about any weight. The macbook air is, of course, a luxury. But it's a luxury that I can afford and I want.
I am only 18 years old and am not wise in the ways of the world. Does anyone have advice for me? Can those of you who are more mature than me think of something that might convince my dad to back off? Or should I just shut up and be happy with a macbook?

Thanks

don't buy anything till you go to college, keep saving and get a MBP...

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
A poster above asked about my major, and to that I will give this answer:
Snip

Wow. That is a wide variety of possibilities. If you are going into engineering, I, and probably many others, would strongly advise against the MBA, even thought it seems like you have decided against it yourself. Anyway a lot has changed since the last time I was involved on MacRumors. I think that the new Macbooks are (now) great machines for engineering/science majors, whose students tended to be directed to the MBP in previous revisions.

Agurri

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
1) 2.0 or 2.4 macbook? I know, I know, I've seen all the threads on this but since this is already going I'll throw that out there.
2) The Buyer's Guide says that updates are coming soon. What can we expect from those updates? I haven't heard or read anything, I'm just curious. Of course, an upgrade isn't guaranteed nor does anyone on this site know for sure, but any speculation?

Thanks again everyone.

1) I'd go with the 2.4. I think the .4 makes a difference. You get a bigger HDD which is always nice, and you have illuminated keyboard... which is also very cool and can be helpful.
2) I would say... next Tuesday :p as usual

As a Eletrical Engineer student (finishing 3rd year), I have a CoreDuo Macbook 2.0 2gb ram, 200 gb @7200... I've bought it 2 weeks before starting college... It does everything I want and I'm more than happy with it. I love the size and the portability as I carry it every day at school.

So... here's an advice : Buy your computer at the end of the summer ... mid-august... You'll still get your free iPod and have your Mac... and who knows.. maybe an updated one :).

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
I would be happy with any computer I get, if it does the job you want it to do, then by all means get it.

I feel that the Air is to expensive just for something that does exactly the same as a MacBook would but the Air is just a lot lighter. If your buying it just because of the weight difference, then you shouldn't own a computer.

Buy a nice Unibody MacBook, save yourself some money to spend on your education or for a few drinks down your local pub.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
Like a few others have said, listen to your dad, you don't realize what expenses you're about to enjoy. The MB is a pretty good entry into the Mac family; it's well-rounded and not too expensive.

What small town are you from? I'm curious, I live in NW IA.

Oh, and you're about to become an alumnus, not an alumni, unless you're Siamese twins.

robindahlia789

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
this

is really getting a lot of replies, cool!
i personally think the forums are cooler than the actual rumors

SecondDealer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
First of all I have a bias against the MBA, I think its underpowered and over price. The link below sums up my feelings about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ERgZ9dztk&feature=related

I'm not saying you should just bow down and listen to your parents because id be being a hypocrite if I said that but just get the MB, it's a better computer at a better price, use the extra money to get an external display or a set of speakers, or just to buy booze.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I skipped to the end after reading the first page, but just in case no one has already mentioned it.

The macbook (aluminum) weighs a whopping 1.5 lbs more than the air.

At 3 vs 4.5 lbs, is weight really that big a deal?

I can see some uses for an air, if one has money to burn, or demands the better screen in a 13 inch form factor.

But overall you get a fully functioning computer, vs a glorified netbook (yes I know its capable, but it for all intents an purposes is a mobile unit for temporary use in the field, not an overall work machine)

I remember looking at them side by side at fry's after the unibody came out, and comparing them side by side and trying to figure out what would compel a person to get an air other than bragging rights.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Here's a $1099 last gen MacBook Air.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macbook_air/

I wouldn't waste my time with the 2.4GHz MB, when it's $300 more to get a 15" MBP with a much better screen and GPU that will last longer.

Just saying, I have a white MacBook myself and think the screen is kinda crappy, my bro has a slightly newer MacBook and his screen is HORRIBLE. I've used a few glass ones, and thankfully they're not that bad, but not as good as the MacBook Air/MacBook Pro screens. Funny, that!

The MacBook does get insane battery life compared to the Pro (or Air, for that matter). If you're talking about going into an Apple store and blowing $2000 on a brand new MacBook Air, bro you're totally out of your mind.

If you want to spend $2000 on computers, go get the low end 20" iMac and a white MacBook. Or, go through MacMall and get a last gen MacBook Air and a low end last gen iMac! ($1099 + $919.. $2100 said and done!)

You don't want to have a 13" laptop as your only computer. Ew

Still though, at $1099 that Air is cheaper than a new MacBook, has a better screen, but is a bit slower. I'd go that route if you really want the aluminum case and backlit keyboard.

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
If you are really getting into Engineering, I would maybe spend the extra cash and get a MBP.
As far as I know (I'm not a engineering major) you will use mostly Windows. Most software in that field is Win-only, like SolidWorks or AutoCAD.
And if you want to use them on your notebook, you need all GPU power you can get.

gathart

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
I love this thread:

not quite sure if it is a wind-up or for real.

As an ex-student, albeit long time ago, i can understand the ache of your dad. Tbh being at college your computor is just a nice tool to get things done, and just interfering between girls, pubs and fraternities. Just enjoy that aspect as much as you can, you wouldn't get it back!

Jobwise, of course go for an economy resistant job like medicine. They always needs doctor...

Hal1980

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
It's your money, so buy what you want. I think the best approach is to remember that typically it is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

MBA vs. MB or MBP?

I wouldn't get the MBA. If it was your second computer, my answer would be different, but there are some severe drawbacks especially for someone who travels a lot.

1. No ethernet port. Many hotels and campus connections are still on ethernet. Unless you want to carry an ethernet dangle around, you will be out of luck.

2. No swapable battery. Want to fly more than a few hours and use your computer for the flight? Tough, you'll run out of battery and be stuck until you can recharge.

3. No optical drive. Want to watch a DVD on your flight, burn a cd for a friend, etc? Tough unless you want to carry around an external drive and connect it by USB.

4. It is slow and overpriced.

If you used it as a second computer for presentations or a quick meeting across town and didn't care about the money, then MBA is perfect, otherwise I think it has too many drawbacks.

Where to buy? Go online and buy through the Mac education store. You are sure to save a bunch of money! For MB 2.0 vs. 2.4 vs. MBP, I'll let others argue their merits but for what's its worth I really find the backlit keyboard helpful when traveling or working in low lit rooms (something only available on MB 2.4 or MBP). Best of luck.

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
Tell your dad to F off and let you live your life.

That you would dishonor a parent that way just blows my mind. It's not funny - it's sick.

And to the "KID" - yes, kid who followed with the post saying "it's your money you earned it blah blah blah..."

When I was in high school all of my friends seemed to be getting new cars around 16 or 17 while I drove my parent's cars (when I was lucky!). I had a job and worked a lot of hours - newspaper comes out one Saturday: Ford dealership selling a completely stripped down Ranger pick up truck -- it was like $169 a month or something in the ad. I remember for 2 months badgering my dad to let me buy that truck and giving him the whole speech about how I could afford the payments and all that. Never happened and I resented him for it for a while. Freshman year of college (the end of it I might add), got my first car: a free hand me down from my brother: a 1991 Honda Accord with 192k miles on it. Still one of my favorites to this day.

I'm 28 now; married, two kids; wife and I have a house and we're not upside down on it - we've socked away money and lived like misers to continue paying down the mortgage as fast as we can. Both cars are paid for: a nice Toyota SUV and a Nissan SUV that have been awesome for us...no debt other than mortgage etc. ...oh and we don't make 6 figures either; we just spend wisely and save save save.

None of that would have happened if I had gone into debt buying that stupid truck that would have lost 35% of it's value the day I drove it off the lot. It was the stupidity of being 17 years old that led me to even pitch that sale to my dad and I cannot thank him enough for not letting me do it. Instead I saved the money and accepted the hand me down later on and have paid cash for every car since. That $169+down payment+tax would have cleaned me out at 17 and prevented me from saving thousands of dollars that would later be used for a down payment on a house, and for paying for cars, expenses etc.

Don't dishonor your parents and be a moron; I'm proof that they know a thing or two. And to the guy I quoted: I hope some day (since this is a free country and even you are allowed to procreate for some reason) that you have a kid just like you.

Macmel

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
Wait to the last possible minute before going to College (new models might come out in summer), buy a MB (refurbished, if you can), and save all that money. Beer is cheap, but not free, girls like better treats than "look how cool is my MBA" and when you are drunk, you probably wouldn't distinguish an elephant from a big dog, let alone a MB from a MBA.
You are going to look cooler with money in your pocket than with a MBA. Think about that.

chuckcalo

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
You should listen to your parents, this is a need vs want case and I think the MacBook will fill both these things. I don't see why you should need a Macbook Pro over an Macbook since all you're doing is going to be school work and maybe some music listening/video watching. Macbook white is plenty enough for these tasks. And yes, parents only want the best for you. Get a Macbook and then drag your dad to buy one for him later too :p.

walkum13

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
lol, go with the MacBook 2.4. You'd be surprised about how much you will use the keyboard. But, I digress. Here's what you do: find the syllabus for each class the semester BEFORE you take it. Talk to the teacher and verify which books you need for their class. Then, go here: abebooks.com they sell international versions (paperback) for 20-30 bucks a pop. Same book, it just takes like 2 weeks to get to the US. Saved me a TON of money in college (I just graduated) and I just ended up keeping my books as reference. trust me, go this route and you and your parents will be happy.

Either that, or make friends with older kids in your major and just use their books as well as their notes :D

PMG5Quad

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2006
FL & NH
Go to Mac Mall buy the old MacBook Air

Hey everyone,

exposition:
I am currently a high school senior - soon to be an alumni. I'm currently in a small town in Iowa, but I'll be headed off to college on the West Coast. Since I'll be traveling quite a bit (flights to and from CA) and the distance I'll be walking each day, I want to get a macbook air. Of course, being a longtime PC user I've been nothing short of ecstatic when considering the idea of running around (not literally) with my air.
Earlier today took my mom to Best Buy to show her the computer and familiarize her with it. We got home and she told my dad and that's where this all begins.

conflict:
After telling my dad, he informed me that "You will not be buying a high end Mac. You'll get a middle-of-the-road, average Mac and that will be fine for you." As a champion smartass, as well as an incredibly sarcastic person, I responded with, "Great! So you're paying for it, then?" Since we've both known that I'm paying for my own computer, he said no. I pressed him on this issue and he said, "You'll use your money for books. You have no idea what kind of expenses you're going to encounter. You'll save your money and use that for books and other expenses."
We are fairly well off financially (given the current market and economic situation, which has had an effect on our portfolio), and of course we are trying to save a lot of money in the even that something unforeseen does occur. However, as stated before, this laptop will be purchased with my money. I've worked hard over the past 2 years (and will continue through the summer) and have saved more than enough for at least two years of books and a macbook air and the other things I'll need for college. I am fortunate enough to say that money is not an issue in this matter.

solution?:
What are your thoughts on this? What should I say to my dad regarding his views against my own? I will admit, an extra 2 lbs is nothing to me - I'm an all-district football player and can handle just about any weight. The macbook air is, of course, a luxury. But it's a luxury that I can afford and I want.
I am only 18 years old and am not wise in the ways of the world. Does anyone have advice for me? Can those of you who are more mature than me think of something that might convince my dad to back off? Or should I just shut up and be happy with a macbook?

Thanks

I know where your bolth coming from you will want cash as well man I know.
So I would if spending around $1,350 go to the refurbished on Apple or Mac Mall buy the old MacBook Pro you will get more from that allot more or if thats a no Go to Mac Mall buy the old MacBook Air for under $1,000

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macbook_air/?gclid=COGglu_9upkCFQRhswodBnrD6w

Oh & give your dad a break if he did not care about you he would let you blow your cash. I go to school where its 70% girls you will wish you had the money as most any girl worth going for will not like the idea of her paying for your dates :apple:
Good luck man.
Thomas

Macmel

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
The reason is SPEED. The SSD drive is MUCH faster then the stock hard drive. I made this recommendation because this is exactly what I did. With the stock HD, you get a few bounces on the dock with everything, with the SSD its pretty much instant.

Programs like Safari and Mail usually jump up and fall, and don't even bounce at all. Other programs like Photoshop CS3 load in about 3 to 3.5 seconds (just counted). You just don't get that with a 5400rpm drive!

The computer also feels more responsive.

The SSD makes a BIG difference in usability. Trust me. I've used the Air and the Macbook Aluminum in both SSD and non-SSD, and there was a big difference with both.

The only problem is going to be capacity, but if you can invest in a 256GB SSD which should be decently priced around the summer or so, that will solve that issue. You will then have enough space to partition maybe 40-60GB for Windows XP, Vista, or 7 if it's out, for any programs you may have compatibility issues for.

With the 128GB ones, you may not be able to do a full install using Boot Camp since you have to partition the space ahead of time and there just isn't enough space to go around if you keep a music or picture collection on your computer through iPhoto.

What I do on my 128GB is I use VMWare Fusion since that only takes up as much space as needed. I then have Office installed so I can use Word and Excel for school projects in Unity mode (which makes them feel like native mac apps! It's great since MS Office 2008 for Mac sucks).

Hope that helps!

SSD IS TOTALLY WORTH IT, especially if you can get a good deal.

Yeah it is totally worth it, so you can learn German in those tenths of a second of delay that you are saving every time you open mail... Come on!
If you are going to be using your computer for non-professional use a SSD drive is completely useless. It's way more expensive and the speed gain in normal tasks is ridiculous. And at least for me, Firefox, Mail, etc are running for weeks at a time on my computer, as I never switch it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.