Dad wants to buy me an iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uamwf, Aug 4, 2008.

1. uamwf macrumors newbie

So I visited my dad this past week in Boston. One day we went down to the Boylston St Apple store (which was amazing btw...) just for me to gawk. WHile we were inside looking at the iPhones my dad told me that he wanted to buy me one for my B-Day!!! I was soo freaking excited, except when I thought about the logistics of canceling my current Verizon family share plan with my mom (parents divorced). I explained to my dad and he said that he would be willing to pay for the cancellation fee and such but I wasn't sure how that would work because I'm on a family plan...I had to say no...it killed me to walk out without an iPhone!!! OMG...but I wanted some advice, maybe from someone who wnet through something similiar...what you did or would do???

Thanks soo much!!!:)

2. thedeuce macrumors newbie

No way around it, unless you have someone else on the family plan with you she will lose the family plan because you need at least two people on it, you could always convince your mom to switch over to at&t with you

3. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Yeah if the Att service is good in your area then get her to switch to. Or just cancel your number and her get on a regular plan...

4. iViet macrumors member

well, if only you cancel your phone, you'll only pay for one ETF, that's if it's still under contract. your mom will then have to get another plan, that's all. If your mom, or your phone has already fulfilled the contract, cancel the line that has no penalty, that way you could save some money.:)

5. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

the family plan thing shouldn't matter, family plans on vzw start at 79.99, single plans start at 39.99, so she really isn't saving money by having you on with her (other than free calls/texts to you), if she doesn't want to join att as well, it shouldn't really matter cost-wise

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Your parents must not be divorced. No way in he** the mother will switch just because her ex-husband wants her to. ;)

7. uamwf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thansk to (mostly) everyone!

My parents are divorced (I would know...) and my dad does not want her to switch...I was simply wondering what other people had done in this sitiuation. I talked to my dad today and her said that he would give me a raincheck and buy me one next year, when my contract runs out!!! So excited...and my mom is excited about saving money on her Verizon plan!

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

you can convice your dad to port his numba to AT&T and then go on a family plan with him, your mom would save some money doing that, but youd be ending up paying 30$ i think it was for unlimited data(required by iPhone) and mins, but no txts or nothing else...

9. JWages macrumors regular

Why couldn't you just cancel your line and have your mom go down on a plan by herself?

Its what I'm doing, if I decide to keep the iPhone.