Dad's on ATT, I'm not, I want an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tom2k, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Tom2k macrumors newbie

My dad's company supplies him with AT&T service. The rest of the family is on T-mobile. If I take my dad to the Apple store on 7/11 and buy an iPhone under his current contract, is there any way for me to get the iPhone, and for him to keep his number and stay with the current phone he has?

The was I see it is:
    1) He buys the subsidized iPhone for $199
    2) He gets a 2 year contract
    3) They activate it instore (I'm not sure whether his number will be transferred to the iPhone or not. Hopefully someone has knowledge of this)
    4) He gets the cheapest plan for the iPhone and cancels it after 1 month
    5) He remains on the 2 year contract with his ****** nokia and I buy the iPhone off of him
    6) The only money lost was the 1 month of iPhone service and there are no hidden charges for canceling the iPhone

Any advice / knowledge on this matter is appriciated, thanks guys

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i dont think that'll work

why not get your own plan?

3. Tom2k thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd be content on T-mobile's EDGE network.. and plus the iPhone plans with ATT are damn expensive. I'm a poor college bound student who can barely pay for his next meal :p

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Won't work; the current iPhone scheme is so you can't do this. If your father signs up and cancels, he will pay the penalty which is yet unspecified and the ETF which is amount to a lot more than just $200, $800 or more if I had to guess.

Say your father activate, his number will get transferred, and then he will be on the iPhone plan, then he can put the SIM back into his kick-butt Nokia and you buy the iPhone off of him; now the question is how do activate the iPhone on T-Mobile when it's attached to your father's AT&T account, not to mention you have to unlock the phone as well. So your father will have to pay $30 extra per month! I don't think this will work... sorry.

And since you will be using the phone on EDGE, why not get a current generation iPhone?

5. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you're better off finding someone who's selling they're 2g iphone and unlocking it to use on t-mobile.

6. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

I second that.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I agree with the others said, try to find a new 2.5G iPhone, because no matter what, there is no way possible for you to get a 3G iPhone without being in AT&T at the moment.

Plus why would you say you would be content on T-Mobiles EDGE network when:
    The iPhone 3G won't even be unlocked yet.
    For that matter, just get an old iPhone..