Daily automoatic backup to iCloud over 3G: Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by joneildu, Nov 17, 2011.

1. joneildu macrumors member

Because I've had an unlimited data plan since the dawn of ages, I rarely use my WiFi to preserve battery life. I was wondering if there was a jailbreak or tweak that would push my autobackup to iCloud over 3G? Will 3G unrestrictor work in some way?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

3G latest firmware is 4.2.1 and you can't use icloud. Upgrade your phone to 3GS or Iphone 4 to use this feature.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, not 3G unrestrictor unless its updated to work with icloud.
    But your icloud backup could be up to 1GB, trying to do that over 3G would be painfull and waste lots of time and kill your battery. Not sure even if it was available to even bother with that.

4. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Yeah honestly you're not saving any power by using exclusively 3G. It uses significantly less power to browse over wifi vs. browsing over 3G.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly, using 3G for data over wifi uses way more battery.
    What the OP said above that he dont use wifi in order to save battery life makes no sense. He's doing the exact opposite by using 3G instead:D

6. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

What? Did you even read the OP's question? He never specified a phone model. I think we can assume that he is on iOS 5 if he's using iCloud for backups. He wants to know if there's a way to circumvent the part where it waits until it's plugged in, locked and on wifi to do so. By "3G" he meant cellular data, not an iPhone 3G.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It is my fault. I over look the thread and it is too late to edit. Oh well, everyone has this moment. :( :D

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

To be more on topic (sorry Crystal, I probably didn't need to nitpick there), I'd be interested in more information on this as well. There are currently three conditions that have to be met for an automatic iCloud backup to start:

1. The phone must be plugged in.
    2. The phone must be on Wifi.
    3. The screen must be locked.

My phone rarely meets all three of those requirements. I'm sure most people will ask why my phone isn't plugged in and locked on wifi at night while I sleep - I keep the screen on for a bedside clock app.

My phone is however, plugged in and locked on 3G sometimes at work or in the car. Having it backup during these times would be just fine by me.

10. onelight17 macrumors newbie

signing up just so i can add my support for this feature lol..

i also rarely meet the 3 conditions required by icloud and realize after weeks that i dont have a backup.. it would be nice to have it done on 3g even if its a big backup.. battery issues arent really a big deal to me, im just never on wifi

has there been any updates?

11. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I just went over 2GB of 3G data usage on my unlimited AT&T plan. They sent me a nasty email saying they're going to start throttling my data speeds.

I wouldn't be so quick to want to use iCloud over 3G, especially if you're syncing pictures and other large-ish files. They'll throttle you too.

12. onelight17 macrumors newbie

i have the verizon unlimited plan and even tho they do throttle to some extent its different because its only takes effect in congested areas.. places that wont matter to me much anyways.. plus u have to use a LOT of data to be throttled

i would still want to do over 3g and once 4g comes out on the iphone then i wont have to worry at all since they dont have throttling on lte on verizon