Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody can recommend a good backpack that I can carry around my Canon 40D + a lens or two and 15" Macbook Pro?

I'm looking for a backpack that I can carry with me daily, not just for traveling.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody can recommend a good backpack that I can carry around my Canon 40D + a lens or two and 15" Macbook Pro?

I'm looking for a backpack that I can carry with me daily, not just for traveling.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

What's your price range, LowePro makes amazing bags that are comfortable and sturdy, though pricy. You want sturdy, because no matter how careful you are, you will bang your bag and the last thing you want to do is break anything.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I have Crumpler's Sinking Barge, and use it to carry my 15" MacBook Pro along with my Nikon D70 and a couple lenses (plus filters and other accessories). It works pretty well. The bag is expensive though - I paid $180 new.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
+1 for Kata.

I have a Kata R103, it holds my 30D (with Grip attached), EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200, 430 Flash, lots of accessories, spare batteries and odds-and-ends and also my 15" Mac Book Pro in a separate compartment.

Very high quality and lots of padding for the kit, it is also very comfortable to carry for long periods of time.

Current (UK) price is around £130 GBP, well worth it for the features and protection offered.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Attachments

• 5587-closed-E.jpg
    5587-closed-E.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 101

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I think it's so funny how product shots always show the bags full of lenses without lens caps on them. "This bag's so great that you don't even need lens caps!"

If you have a filter on your lenses, you don't really need to use caps.

Lens caps are just one more thing getting in your way to take pictures.

The lenses in that shot of course don't have filters, :eek:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If you have a filter on your lenses, you don't really need to use caps.

Lens caps are just one more thing getting in your way to take pictures.

I disagree.

Unless you're really good about keeping your photo bag clean, or you don't ever go anywhere with it, you need a lens cap. Filters can get scratched just as easily as a lens, which means lower picture quality.

But then for the most part I don't use filters. :D

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
I have a lowepro compudaypack. It fits my 17" mbp + d80 w/18-200 vr + another lens and flash.

It's a nice bag except the more I look at it the more retarded it looks on me. Looks is subjective but man... I wish it was nicer looking. Which is probably why I'm trying to sell it now.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I've been using a LowePro Computrekker for several years. It's very roomy, very rugged, and very weatherproof. I got it because I travel with camera gear a lot and I didn't want to have to choose whether my camera gear or my laptop got gate-checked at the airport. I've carried the thing snowmobiling in Montana in a raging blizzard and in 5-foot seas in a Zodiac off the north coast of Haiti - never had any "environment" get inside.

It's very roomy, my MBP fits fine. Very comfortable to carry, but if there's one problem, it's that it can be heavy when it's loaded up.

35514497.jpg

Fevida

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2006
Netherlands
I have a Fastpack 250 from Lowepro and it's great. The quality is good, and it's not that expensive. The only thing I'm missing is a strap for a tripod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.