Daily email from Gene Greene

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Philsy, Sep 28, 2007.

1. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

If it's mail and I don't know the sender, I just hit delete without opening it. Aren't there some nasty exploits that try to work off of maliciously crafted jpeg pics?

digression --> I clicked on this thread because "Gene Greene" was a baseball player for the Rochester Red Wings long ago when the Red Wings were part of the Cardinals organization. I thought man, he must be really old by now!

btw the Red Wings are pretty interesting - still publicly owned which is rare nowadays. Fans got all ticked off when St. Louis put it on the block in the mid-50s so they actually formed a corporation and scarfed it up.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not up to scratch on all this, but the picture might send back info when opened saying "yea, this email is working" and on with the spam.

This might have been in a book, film or TV show and not real life. I can't remember :eek:

3. Philsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies, I've learnt something about baseball if nothing else :)

Cheers

Phil

4. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Maybe someone is verifying the address is valid while agreeing to rent a list of addresses harvested from one of those illicit robots parked on a mail relay server. So then every time you receive that email, someone is saying ok i gotta pay for that one (since it didn't bounce back as no such address). I don't know why bother to include a photo though.

Well there are always email filters. I think ISPs do a lot of filtering of spam up front now.

5. Philsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use Spam Sieve on the Mac - works much better than Mail's own filter, I can recommend it.

Phil

6. Philsy thread starter macrumors 6502a