Daily Kernal Panic

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ManBearWaffle, Dec 3, 2010.

1. ManBearWaffle macrumors member

I've been getting a kernal panic, once per day while the iMac is idling. Can you help me figure out what's causing it/how to fix it? Here's the report:

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Does it say this every time:

I've not seen that specific error before, but to me, that points to the CPU itself dying. More information than just one log is necessary, though. That is, does it say "Unresponsive processor" every time, and does it also always say that it's CPU 1?

3. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure because I had no idea that I should be saving the logs before today. I googled it and did the basics, such as repairing disk promissions, but now that I know how important the logs are, I'll be sure to save them. I probably won't be able to post a log for a while because I have no idea when the next panic will be, but I'll be sure to do so. Thanks for your reply!

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Your system keeps a record at /Library/Logs/panic.log.

5. ManBearWaffle thread starter macrumors member

I didn't find anything called panic.log, but I found a few files ending with .panic in the DiagnosticReports folder. Here are the reports:

6. Detrius macrumors 68000

Burn this to CD: http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest86+-2.11.iso.gz

Then boot from it and let it run overnight. Any red is bad and means a RAM error was detected. If this happens, reseat the RAM modules and try again. If it still happens, through a process of elimination, test your RAM modules and RAM sockets.

If you get through the night with no failures, then your RAM is probably fine.