Daily use with 2 x iPhones

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by tch999, Mar 16, 2015.

1. tch999 macrumors newbie

I purchased an iPhone 6 Plus late last year to replace my iPhone 5 and it's a great piece of kit. Excellent battery life, screen and the size is great for what I use it for on a daily basis. With my :apple: device family now consisting of an iPhone 6 Plus, iPad (3rd generation), iPod touch and MacBook Pro, I'm enjoying the synchronicity between everything. As they've always said, everything just works!

I was wondering, however, if I'd be able to bring my old iPhone 5 back in to function as another device to listen to music/play games when I'm on the road for a long period of time with no access to charging. Obviously I know I can switch it back on and get functionality from email/app store as was. My main wonder was whether I'd be able to get Text messages forwarded from my iPhone 6 Plus and allow the iPhone 5 to send on behalf of it? Would I need to put a SIM card in the iPhone 5 or would it function without? Making and accepting calls isn't essential, but if it works alongside the message functions, that would be a bonus.

I'm sure someone else has must have tried this out in the past - I've had a quick search through the forums, but couldn't find a precise thread about it.

Look forward to your replies! :)

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Without a cellular connection, an iPhone is essentially an iPad or iPod Touch.

Anything you can do with those can be done with your iPhone 5. Notable exceptions being apps that specifically require something your phone lacks, such as a bigger screen or the fingerprint Touch ID pad.

The iPod and iPad can do as you are inquiring. So I see no problem with you doing so on your iPhone.

3. tch999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I assumed this was the case. How do I get it to send/receive iMessages and Text messages from my iPhone 6 Plus's Sim Card number though?

4. tch999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Scrap that... it seems to be working now!

I had tried to get Text Message Forwarding setup last night, but the iPhone 5 didn't come up as an option on my 6 Plus. After a night's sleep, it seems to have come up as an option and as they say, it's just working!

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Glad to hear you got it working.

6. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Just buy something like a Mophie Powerstation & have power all the time on one device.

7. tch999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have an external USB battery backup which is useful as I can switch it between any of my devices as and when I need it. My main reason for carrying around the diverse selection of devices is that the different sizes suit different needs.

For example, the iPhone 6 Plus isn't so great at the gym when I need a smaller device in my pocket whilst I exercise. The iPhone 5 or my iPod touch excel here!

I think the setup I have now with the 2 iPhones will work well for me. Time will ultimately tell if I stick by it!