Daisuke Matsuzaka?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nhcowboy1, Mar 29, 2008.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

I just need a bit of reassurance here . . . I just came from an auction (I should know better than to ever go to these things - the last time I went to one I ended up buying a horse! But that's another story . . . ) and I now own a baseball signed by Daisuke Matsuzaka. Fully authenticated and everything.

Is this a good thing?

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

He's one of the top pitches for the Boston Red Sox. It's not a bad thing to have, but it's not worth a ton of money at the moment...may very well be though in the future depending on how well he does this season and forward.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

4. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

You must be a Yankees fan, or hate baseball.

Its not a bad piece to own, there's better out there, but I imagine you could get $100 for it. He's a decent pitcher, has potential to be really good if he steps it up soon, there's been a lot of hype surrounding him. I'd buy it, but I'm as hardcore a Redsox fan as there is and there's a quite a few people just like me who would buy it.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Unless he wins like 2 championships with the Red Sox, I don't think his card will be worth a lot. In fact, I think there's more potential for his card value to go down rather than up. He's so hyped up that if he meets expectations (which are already very high) his value will go up very little. If he doesn't do well, or is a complete disappointment, there's going to be a LOT of bad press.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If you were going to sell it, you'd get way more money in Japan than in the US.

Dice-K is a legend in Japan, and has been since he was in high school.

He was also the MVP of the first World Baseball Classic (Japan beat Cuba in the final).

They have a museum about him in his father's hometown in Japan, called the Daisuke Matsuzaka Museum :p

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ok wait, you went to an auction and bought something you know nothing about, why?

How much did you pay for it anyways?

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

He's huge in Japan, I'm sure you could get a decent amount for it if you look in the right places.

irmongoose

9. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah well, I couldn't imagine going and facing my 12-year old son if I hadn't even tried. :D It might have worked better if my bid hadn't been the last one . . . .

But I knew I was covered, if need be. The person I bid against would be happy to buy it from me. I was kind of thinking we'd own it for a day and then sell it. Now, of course, my son is saying that if we only hang onto it for a couple of years, we'll make a fortune. A couple of years??? And I'm supposed to still know where it is? Gimme a break, I can't find stuff I put down this morning!

As for price, I'd rather not say. No matter what I say, one person will say what a great deal it was and someone else will say I'm nuts. I'm okay with everyone just assuming I'm nuts but not really knowing for sure. :p

By the way, zioxide, I love the link to the Daisuke Matsuzaka Museum!!!