Daisy Chain external HD's?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Daniel97, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

Okay so let me firsty explain the plan. 2011 Mac Mini. 8GB RAM, 64GB SSD. This will contain just the Lion OS and all applications.

I will then connect a 2TB Drive for Media & My home folder. Videos, Photos, Music etc.

I will then connect a 2TB drive for back ups.

First question. How do i back up each drive together via time machine? Or cant i?

Second question can i daisy chain external HDs so i only have to use one power socket?

2. simsaladimbamba

1. Daisy chaining is possible via Firewire (affordable HDDs and HDD enclosures are currently more than available) and Thunderbolt (affordable HDDs and HDD enclosures are not really available, they cost at least 400 USD and more). USB 2.0 has no daisy chaining abilities.

2. What does the "power socket" have to do with daisy chaining? If you have 3.5" HDDs, they need to be powered separately by their own power adapter.

3. You can backup external HDDs via Time Machine* and also CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper!.

* Time Machine FAQ

3. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought by daisy chaining i could share power supplies as im limited to the amount of sockets i can use.

I have TM & CCC but wondered if it was possible to back up the 2 seperate drives (SSD & 2TB HD) to a single 2TB HD or whether it would only allow one of the drives to be used for TM

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Bus-powered drives usually cannot be daisy chained.

5. simsaladimbamba

Not with 3.5" HDDs. What about a 5-way power socket or two? Are they allowed? They cost less than 10 €.

You can can backup one, two, three, five, ten, xy drives via Time Machine to one HDD if you want. TM backs up to one folder on that HDD, thus you could also use CCC to make a bootable copy of your OS to it.

Did you look at the TM FAQ I linked you to?

6. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already have a 6 way socket. I cant socket into a socket.

Yes i flicked but whilst at work is difficult and i knew you could just say yes/no and save me reading ;)

7. simsaladimbamba

Why can't you socket into a socket?
    I have done that several times without problems. Or are you limited to 500 W or something similar low? I have 16A per circuit, thus I can connect up to 3000 W to one circuit, which is hard with an iMac or MBP and ten HDDs.

8. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im a fireman.

Its in a small unventilated cupboard in a 110 year old terraced house.

Im unsure of power supply being drawn but i have a TiVo, Xbox 360, Mac Mini, 51'' Plasma, Phone & Router being sucked out of this one plug already. Space is an issue.