Daisy Chain firewire drives for iTunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by awr, Jan 7, 2009.

1. awr macrumors member

Hey everybody - did a search and haven't been able to find an answer to this:

I currently have a WD 750GB My Book hooked into my iMac for my itunes Library. I have it set so when i add to the Library, iTunes organizes thie files and folders on this drive. I am running out of space and was contemplating daisy chaining another WD My Book via firewire to my existing one. If i did that, is there a way to make my Imac and itunes Library see them both as one drive?

Because - to the best of my understanding - when telling iTunes to keep your files organized, they have to all be in one place.

What I'm basically trying to do here is avoid buying a 2TB drive, and instead just buy another 750 and use daisy chain.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks.:D

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

A post here a few days ago mentioned using Disk Utility to concatenate drives (under the RAID -> RAID type) - I didn't know about this until then, so I haven't done it, but it makes multiple drives behave as one. I'm not sure what would happen if one drive failed though.

That said, you can get a 2TB WD external drive from New Egg for $240 (12.5c/GB) compared to 750GB WD drive for $90 (12c/GB) - so there's not a lot of difference.