Daisy Chain G-Tech drives using Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by photogy, Oct 18, 2010.

1. photogy macrumors member

Hi,

i know this may be simple but...i have MBP and 2 G-Tech 500gb Mobile drives that i am trying to daisy chain for back up...how do i set them up so that they are both backed up simultaneously using time machine?

currently, i have 1 drive into MBP and the 2nd drive connected to the first using FW 800 cables....both drives are recognized but i have to select both individually to back up with TM and do them one at a time...

how do you set them up so that you back up one and they other backs up automatically...so you dont have to back them up individually (assuming this is possible)?

i e-mailed G-Tech support twice to ask but to date, have never even received a reply...disappointing!

tks

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

'Fraid you can't.:( Even tho your drives are daisychained, as you've seen, they are effectively two separate drives and have to used as such.

3. photogy thread starter macrumors member

cool..thanks as spent hours trying...at least i now know!

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Here's what I know will work:
    User Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to clone the drives. Time Machine will update Drive A, and you can schedule one of the cloning tools to copy changes over to Drive B. This way you don't have to keep swapping Time Machine targets.

This might work, but I have't tried it with external drives:
    You'll probably have to start off with two fresh drives...
    With both drives connected, open Disk Utility
    Select one of the drives and click the RAID tab
    Create a new Mirrored Raid Set. Drag the 2 external drives into the raid set.
    Like I said, I've not tried this with externals.

5. joaoferro99 macrumors member

you dont want to daisy chain drives to use TM, try eSATA for faster data rate.