Daisy chain monitors on Mac Mini 2012

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by cutter74, Jan 7, 2014.

1. cutter74 macrumors member

While (impatiently) waiting for my two brand new Dell U2414H monitors to arrive, I started thinking about something that I might have missed before. I was planning on connecting the mini with the first monitor with a miniDP to DP cable and daisy chain the first ti the second monitor to extend or mirror the displays.
    Is this supported on the late 2012 Mini?
    I'd appreciate a fast response if anybody knows, since I might have to cancel my order depending on what is supported with my configuration. Thanks for your time.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

It's not supported on any Mac unless you're using Thunderbolt displays.

3. cutter74 thread starter macrumors member

Not the reply I was hoping for but thank you for your quick response. I thought I had read that daisy chaining through miniDP was supported in monitors with DP1.2. Since the U2414H support DP1.2 I was hoping to daisy chain this way.

By the way, I won't have problems extending my desktop if I connect one monitor via miniDP and the other via HDMI, right?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

That'll work fine.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes but thunderbolt 1 uses displayport 1.1. It isn't until thunderbolt 2 that displayport was upgraded to 1.2. And the only macs to have tb2 are the 2013 MacBook pros and 2013 Mac Pro.