Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Before I go to the trouble of setting up my Macs to take care of maintenance and other stuff, I was wondering if there was a way to connect them all if 2 of them are booted into Target Disk mode?

This is what I want to do.

Main machine connected to iMac G5(booted into TDM) via Thunderbolt/FW adapter, which is then connected to an iBook G3 or G4 via FW 400/400 cable which is also booted into TDM.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I think I remember doing this. They both showed up as an external hard drive.

Awesome. Is there a way to instal the same OS to both drives simultaneously that way? I would assume not, but it would be great if it worked that way.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Not simultaneously, the best you could do is install it on one, then clone it or install onto the other.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Awesome. Is there a way to instal the same OS to both drives simultaneously that way? I would assume not, but it would be great if it worked that way.

Even, if it was, it would still copy the bits after one another. Same like, if you copy one file and start copying another directly after that and you see a progress bar for both. The write-head can only move to one point at the same time, so part 1 of 10 of file A must be copied first, then part 1 of 10 of part B, to put it simply.

About daisy chaining:
you can even use another Mac as external DVD-drive.
Put in the DVD in the other Mac, shut down. Connect to other Mac, start other Mac, now start Mac with the DVD stuck in it in Target mode.
You will see the DVD on your "other" Mac as DVD and can copy from this DVD to a fresh burnable DVD in your "other" Mac, without first saving the files of the DVD on the HDD. (I know, it is not, what you plan, but, in case someone wants to copy a DVD to another DVD, without first creating a disc-image).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.