Daisy Chain question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dr Charter, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

For now, I'm going with a Macbook Air as my primary machine, but as soon as I have the money I'll be buying a 2011 21in Imac. I'm planning on getting an external thunderbolt drive to go with it. Since the 21 inch has one port, will I be able to add a monitor with a displayport adapter to the end of the chain?

2. simsaladimbamba

You will be able to do so without an adapter, as the display most likely will come with a Thunderbolt cable.

3. The-Pro macrumors 65816

As simsaladimbamba said.
    But may I mention that having a thunderbolt external HDD is only worth it if its a RAID array or an SSD. This is a because a single HDD cannot take advantage of the thunderbolt speed. Most external don't even max out Firewire 800. Given the price of thunderbolt external HDD's it would be stupid if you can have the same speed from a Firewire 800 HDD.

4. Dr Charter thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent advice. Those LaCie drives look snazzy, but a firewire drive is probably better since it's just for a simple Time Machine backup.

5. bt22 macrumors 6502

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Also if I am not mistaken. You would want the TB HD as the end of the chain. Use Apple hubs if possible. Lacie is the suck. Would not trust them very far.