Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
I have an older 500GB Time Casule (not sure if it's considered Gen 1 or gen 2). I only transmitts one freq at a time (not duel channel like th enew ones)(I can choose either "n (b/g compatible)", or 2.4GHz n or 5GHz.

Anyway, the other day I bought a new 2TB TC (dual channel). My question, can I "daisy chain" these things? My thought was to use the new TC as my primary (and to provide the wireless), then use the older 500GB just as another drive connected to teh new TC. Is that possible? Any recommendations on how to best use the two together (if it's possible)?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I don't think it's possible to directly daisy chain them. You could just turn the wireless off on the old one, and just use it as a networked ethernet drive.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
If you disable DHCP on the older one and connect it to the newer one, you can have it act as a secondary wireless access point. This allows you to create another SSID if you wanted. For example, new TC can provide SSIDs for wireless N devices (both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and older TC can provide SSID for wireless b/g devices.

Or you can disable the wireless on the older one completely and use it as a networked drive, with the option of using the older TC's Ethernet ports as an extra hub.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
If you disable DHCP on the older one and connect it to the newer one, you can have it act as a secondary wireless access point. This allows you to create another SSID if you wanted. For example, new TC can provide SSIDs for wireless N devices (both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and older TC can provide SSID for wireless b/g devices.

Or you can disable the wireless on the older one completely and use it as a networked drive, with the option of using the older TC's Ethernet ports as an extra hub.

I ended up using the older 500GB TC to "extend" the network from my 2TB TC. I can see them both in Airport Utility and can back up my MBP onto the 500 GB and my iMac desktop to the 2TB. Works like a champ.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I ended up using the older 500GB TC to "extend" the network from my 2TB TC. I can see them both in Airport Utility and can back up my MBP onto the 500 GB and my iMac desktop to the 2TB. Works like a champ.

Thanks for posting. I had considered doing the same only with two 2T TimeCapsules. I have an Airport Extreme that will be the "main" wireless but, the two TCs will be hard wired, at a distance too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.