Daisy Chain USB and FW 800

tewb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Hey

This is my first post and I'm after a little help if possible. Have a new i7 Macbook Pro and Im wanting to know if what I am thinking is possible. I have a WD FW800 HD which i have put video and music on, I then have an iomega USB HD which I use for time machine back ups.

Can I daisy chain the FW and USB together and if so which way round would it be. In my naieve mind I am thinking the following-

Macbook Pro connected to FW HD and then USB (Time Machine HD) connected into the FW HD

MacbookPro+FW+USB

Any help would be so appreciated-as you can tell I'm just learning.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick. Essentially I'm asking the USB HD to back up the MBP and the content on the FW HD.

tewb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Er OK
Thanks

Would 2 FW Hardrives do the trick then?

tewb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Perfect thank you!

So, just clarify-

I go out of my macbook pro into the first FW HD which has got my music and video content, and then chain another FW HD to that (which will then be my time machine) and the time machine will then back up not only the MBP but the 1st FW HD too?

Thanks for all your help-I do appreciate it-everyone has to start somewhere right?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Yes to your connection proposal. Firewire can be used for daisy chaining, USB can't, that's why there are USB hubs and only one USB port per HDD or any other USB device.

At work I have up to ten FW 800 HDDs connected via one port on the Mac.

tewb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
OOoooh

OK now I am being really thick. So if I just plugged my current FW HD into the MBP and my USB time machine into the MBP-how does the timemachine know that I want to back up the MBP and the FW HD?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I don't use Time Machine, but I see that the external that you want backed-up should be removed from the exclude list of TM's config for this to happen (if it's there).