Daisy-chained bus-powered FW 800 drives - enough power?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kainjow, Aug 27, 2009.

1. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Does anyone have any experience daisy-chaining FW 800 drives on a MBP? I've got one right now, but am thinking of adding another but I don't want to use an AC adapter if I don't need to. Will the MBP give enough juice to run 2 daisy-chained FW 800 drives (2.5")? I've got the late 08 unibody 15".

2. cw2k7 macrumors member

Depends on the drives as they all draw different amounts.

The MacBooks give upto 7 watts over firewire so it should be able to cope. Spinup draws the most power and so is normally the cause of it not working.

3. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I sent OWC an email about it since I bought one of their drives/enclosures and they said "Not likely. The Firewire port is limited in how many watts of power it will provide." which I know already but I guess I wanted a definite answer, and I'd rather not waste money testing it myself :rolleyes:

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it works.

Of course I have only tried with 2 5400RPM drives. I don't know if it will be different for 7200RPM drives.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have a g-raid mini which has two 5200 rpm drives in a single enclosure and it works fine over FW800 and even FW400, but I don't know how well it would work over two separate enclosures....