Daisy Chained external drives

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Terri French, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Terri French macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2006
    I have three daisy chained firewire 800 drives on my Mid 2011 iMac. Lately I have been having some problems with my computer.....I been trying to isolate the problem and the problems only seem to appear when the external drives are connected. Today I watched a YouTube video on daisy chaining and it said that to properly mount the drives you need to turn them on one at a time, wait till the first shows the icon on the desktop before turning on the second. Does this mean that I should unmount them every time before turning off the computer? Also, what happens if the computer goes to sleep? Should I turn off the energy saving feature of having the hard drive go to sleep after one hour of non-use? Will that mess up the hard drives?

I have just been leaving the drives plugged in and turning the computer off and on with them mounted. Perhaps this is my problem.
  2. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Dec 22, 2008
    I have never unmounted my drives when powering down or letting it go to sleep. There is no need to do that or plug and replug.
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    May I suggest seeing if the issue persists if you only have 2 of the 3 drives connected? Maybe one drive is starting to have an issue so you should try all 3 combinations of 2.
  4. Terri French thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2006
    I got in touch with Apple Care. She told me that I did not need to unmount and mount the drives for shutting down. I sure appreciate the responses here. The tech had me run a safe start and my issues seem to be better. Perhaps something went wrong when I installed Mavericks. I am hoping that the issue is resolved, but only time will tell.