Daisy-chaining 2 Aiport Expresses

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pcguru83, Oct 29, 2008.

1. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I'm trying to help a buddy of mine setup two airport expresses in his house so that he can have (the same) music streamed to two different rooms. Here's the setup:

Computer - PowerMac G4 with this wireless N card added.

Two Airport Expresses, both the current wireless N model

The ONLY purpose of the wireless card is to communicate with the AEs--he does not connect wirelessly to the Internet, and instead is hard wired directly from the cable modem to the PowerMac.

We can get one of the AEs working just fine. We connect to the AE from the wireless card utility (a 3rd party utility which came with the wireless card), and it then shows up as an output device in the bottom right of iTunes. Works perfect in one room--but you obviously can't connect to two wireless devices at the same time. So we're thinking that we need to daisy chain the AEs.

I tried setting this up, but there seems to be a catch 22. I setup one AE has an access point called "Man Cave AP" and checked the box "Allow this network to be extended". I was able to successfully connect to "Man Cave AP" and streaming iTunes still worked perfectly. Now here's the conundrum. I need to connect to the other AE so that I can tell it to connect to "Man Cave AP". That's where things get fuzzy. How do I do that? I figured it might be easier to connect it directly to Ethernet to configure, but I never could get the "Man Cave AE" and the "Guest Room AE" to show up simultaneously in the Airport Utility.

I feel like I'm missing something REALLY obvious here. Can someone who has daisy chained AEs before give a brief run-down of the process? If we do get them successfully daisy-chained, is it even possible to stream music to two different AEs simultaneously?

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It is possible to stream music to two AE simultaneously, as I've done it.

You shouldn't have to connect to them through any third party software. Since you are, I'm thinking that is where the problems are occuring.

I'm sorry I'm not more help right now, as I'm away from my network at the moment. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out in the meantime. I just wanted to say it was possible. :)

3. Jiff Lemon macrumors member

You can stream airtunes to one, or multiple AP's simultaneously, I've 4 AE's connecting to one AEBS for this very purpose.

Its the SSID you want to connect to, not the AP itself. So you have multiple access points all sharing the same SSID.

I found it a whole lot easier (and more reliable) to configure the AE's by connecting them to the wired lan for setting them up.

4. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it's possible. I was fairly certain it was, I just wanted to make sure we weren't shooting for a target that's not actually even there. :)

The 3rd party software is unfortunately necessary, and could very well be causing the problems. The wireless card is not detected as an "Airport" card, and the 3rd party software is necessary to connect the wireless card to the desired SSID.

That makes sense, and is exactly what I was trying to do last night. The process of setting this up is what I seem to be having difficulties with. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to connect to the airport via ethernet, and I need to figure out why that wasn't working first. Configuring via Ethernet is going to be the way to go I believe.