Daisy Chaining DisplayPort Monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ugahairydawgs, Jan 7, 2017.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Has anyone here tried daisy chaining multiple DisplayPort monitors to the 2016 MBP? I have a three monitor setup that I'm having issues getting up and running (using one of the TB3 ports to connect to an old OWC TB2 dock for USB-A and ethernet and the video connectivity through those things is spotty on the new laptops).

So right now I have three monitors. One is directly connected to the laptop. A second is also directly connected, but it has the third monitor connected to it. The OS sees the second and third monitors as a single and is mirroring the screen.

I've spoken to Apple Support and they were less than helpful, so I'm curious if anyone here has had any luck.

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

I don't think OS X supports daisy chaining DP - it worked the same way it did for you when I tried on the Dell P2715Q. Not sure why this is the case, as it's supposed to work according to the spec and is apparently supported in windows.

3. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I found some stuff online that pointed to that in older model computers, but I suppose I was just hoping it would work on this model.

Wonder if the way the OS handles spaces is the reason for it being left out.

4. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Let me chime in fs454. I can confirm that DP daisy chaining is supported in Windows. Just yesterday I encountered a triple-Dell Ultrasharp daisy chain in one of the offices at my job. When I spoke with the guy who configured them Jim said that he had no trouble with the setup procedure. He also had a double-Dell DP daisy chain on his own desk.

Our workstations are ordinary networked Windows boxes. The last time that I checked they all ran Windows 7. We are currently going through a hardware upgrade cycle so these particular computers could be running a newer version of Windows.

I hate to think that OS X could be left behind on a feature as useful as DisplayPort daisy chaining.

Say it ain't so Tim! :(