Daisy Chaining eSATA and FW800

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by george-brooks, Jan 6, 2012.

1. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Hi there,
    I have 2 drives connected to my mac pro via eSATA. My question is: Can I plug a FW800 drive into the port on the eSATA connected drive, or do I have to connect it straight to the computer or another HD connected via FW800?

2. simsaladimbamba

As eSATA and Firewire are two different interfaces, you can't connect an eSATA HDD to an external HDD's eSATA port connected via Firewire to your Mac.
    You need to buy an eSATA card for your Mac Pro.

3. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Ok, that makes sense, but I'm asking about the other way around. I already have an eSATA card, and I'm asking if I can connect a drive via FW800 to the drive that is already connected via eSATA.

4. simsaladimbamba

Ah, I misunderstood you. But the same applies here, as eSATA and Firewire are different interfaces. Thus you can't do that too.
    Doesn't the Mac Pro have some Firewire ports?

5. george-brooks thread starter macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Ya, I figured. I have an available FW port but the drive I want to connect is sitting right next to my eSATA drives on my desk so in the interest of less cable clutter I was wondering if I could just daisy chain them instead of running yet another cable to the computer. But I had a feeling it wasn't possible.

Thanks!