Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randas

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Ok connected to my only FW port is my lacie D2 160gb HD and connected to that is my lacie D2 DVD Burner. My Question is; could I attach an iSight to the DVD Burner? (The ports are there for daisy chaining) Just want to make sure because I know with some devices your suposed to connect them directally to the computer (no dasy chaining). I tried to find an answer on apple's site but I found nothing.

Thanks

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it does work. but can cause your system to be unstable at times. i've done it with my FW hard drive, and the system has locked up on occasion from using it. so its worth a try. wont hurt the camera at all i don't think. not that i have seen any problems with mine at all.

randas

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
PlaceofDis said:
it does work. but can cause your system to be unstable at times. i've done it with my FW hard drive, and the system has locked up on occasion from using it. so its worth a try. wont hurt the camera at all i don't think. not that i have seen any problems with mine at all.

This is Under 10.4?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I daisy chain my iSight sometimes and it works fine for me. I'm doing it through a FW 400 HD.

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
If I'm not wrong, Firewire is designed to be daisy-chained. A FW device can address another device directly without going through a hub or host, unlike USB. As you noted, the ports are there to be daisy-chained, and there is certainly more than enough bandwidth. Personally, I've daisy-chained a harddrive and a DV camera, capturing the DV footage directly onto the FW harddrives. Works like a charm.

randas

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Ok, I guess i'm wrong. Although I could have sworn that I read in a manual for a DV cam or an iPod that you werent supposed to daisy chain the device.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
randas said:
Ok, I guess i'm wrong. Although I could have sworn that I read in a manual for a DV cam or an iPod that you werent supposed to daisy chain the device.
I'd consider that a poorly made device. One of the greatest advantages of FW over other technologies is it's ability to chain. I'd be very upset if I had a device that couldn't comply with this part of the standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.