Daisy-chaining hard drive & audio interface?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by discofuel, Mar 1, 2011.

1. discofuel macrumors 6502

I have an iMac with one FW 800 port and a FW Apogee Duet audio interface.

I want to buy a Lacie FW800 hard drive so my only option is to daisy-chain it.

Will there be a loss of performance by doing this?

Also, daisy-chaining aside is an FW 800 drive as good performance as an internal hard disk?

Thanks

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Depends on the internal drive, an internal SATA SSD will blow the FW800 HDD out of the water, if both drives are 7200rpm drives, i believe their performance is quite comparable!

I am not sure how daisey chaining affects performance but it id your only option to connect then 2 devices!

Or get a new Thunderbolt MBP, once device start coming out!

3. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Your audio interface should still work.

Daisy chaining works well. The only loss in performance you will notice is if/when you are reading/writing to/from 2 or more drives at the same time.

Think of a multi lane motorway going down to a single lane. (The single lane being the FW800 cable). If just one drive is in use it will run at up to 800Mb/s. If you use more than one drive at once the speed of the drives will be a combined speed of 800Mb/s. For example 2 drives at 400Mb/s each on average.

4. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

The new iMacs will have Thunderbolt but I only bought mine about 6 months ago so can't justify an upgrade yet :)

Wonder if it's possible to replace the superdrive with a SSD for the system, then upgrade my internal hd to 2tb. probably void my applecare though!

5. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks mjsmke - so the audio interface won't require much bandwidth? it's fw 400.

6. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

It is possible to replace the SuperDrive with an SSD. However, if you iMac is 6 months old, it will have 3 SATA sockets on the logic board, 1 for a HDD, 1 for your superdrive and 1 for an optional SSD, the empty socket is a bit fiddly to get to tho!

If the soundcard is FW400, that is a new kettle of fish as everything will run over FW400!

so 200mb/s in average if they are both active!

7. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

It should be fine with just the 2 devices in the chain. If you have lots of other drives in the chain it may cause a performance issue.

Also depends on how much the external drive is in use. If its just for small files like playing music you will be fine. If its constantly reading/writing it could cause you audio device to slow down but i think it will be fine.

8. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh there's already a spare SATA socket? So is there a way to install a SSD without removing the internal hd or superdrive?

In terms of the daisy chaining I was planning to run the fw 800 hd first in the chain, then connect the soundcare to that

9. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

I will be recording to it so constantly reading and writing large audio files.

Installing a SSD for the system files and then upgrading my internal hd seems the best option :)

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

On the iMac, you may have to make sure you put the audio interface first in the chain. With my iMac i7 I had to do this. When I had my drive first in the chain I got errors in Pro Tools 9.

11. dougb256 macrumors member

I'm using a 2006 iMac with 3 external FW drives and an Apogee Ensemble. Absolutely no problems. 1 drive is a 2TB boot drive; 1 is a 1TB audio drive; the last is another 1TB drive that backs up the audio drive.