daisy chaining hypothetical thunderbolt displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bniu, Jul 7, 2011.

1. bniu macrumors 6502a

Ok, so given the rumors of a thunderbolt Cinema Display, I just wanted to know if such a configuration were possible assuming a thunderbolt cinema display would have two thunderbolt ports to allow daisy chaining.

Would I be able to connect the 2011 MBP 17 via thunderbolt to a thunderbolt cinema display, and then off of that one, daisy chain another thunderbolt cinema display to it, and then daisy chain a third thunderbolt cinema display?

Or would the 6750m choke up trying to drive 7680x1440 pixels or would the bandwidth of thunderbolt be saturated in such a case?

NOTE: yes i'm aware the current cinema display is MDP only, but i'm asking for a hypothetical thunderbolt display. If and when they come out, I'd like to pick up 2-3 and daisy chain them together if possible...

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, the Thunderbolt standard allows for two displays, although I don't know if that graphics card would handle it. No one can really test it yet, though I'd guess in theory it could handle it as long as you weren't hitting the card with too much other work.

jW