Daisy-Chaining Power strip bad??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benlee, Oct 14, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I have a surge protector under my desk but want to mount a power strip on the wall behind the desk for easy access. Is it bad to run this prower strip from the surge protector?

Thanks

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

As long as you are not exceeding the maximum power rating of the strip connected to the wall outlet you should be OK.

3. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

I'm sure an electrician on this forum will give the correct answer but I did it just the other way around. Heavy duty power strip under my desk, connected to the wall outlet. In the power strip are another, smaller power strip with surge protector and small appliances that draw very little power, like my GSM phone's charger. In the smaller powerstrip are my PC, monitor and the PSU for my external harddrive.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that's actually the same way around, not the other way around.

Assuming that you're using predominantly low current draw devices like you're describing (no laser printers, Mac Pros, vacuum cleaners, etc) and at most one or two higher current draw items (like a desktop PC) that are well below the max amp rating, you should be fine.

Having the surge protector first makes sense, because it protects everything from surges. Do be somewhat vary, however, of impedance in the cabling. That's part of the reason you're warned not to use power strips in combination with UPSes, which are very sensitive to the total steady-state power load placed on them.

(I personally have my iMac, my iBook's fixed charger, and two FW drives on a UPS, and then the TV, DVD, DVR, receiver, cable modem, and AEBS are all on a second surge protector).