Daisychaining firewire then connecting with USB 2.0

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by famdav, Dec 26, 2007.

1. famdav macrumors newbie

To be more specific, I want to daisy-chain together several external drives via firewire then connect one of them to an airport extreme via usb 2.0. Does this work? Or would I only have the one hooked up via usb 2.0 show up via network drives.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you are thinking

AE --usb-- DRIVE --Firewire-- DRIVE

It work work. USB cannot be connected to Firewire.

3. famdav thread starter macrumors newbie

4. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Why don't you just use a usb hub and two usb drives. So you'd connect the usb hub to the ABE and then the two drives to the hub.

---------------USB Drive
    ABE > Hub <
    ---------------USB Drive

I assume of course that you have two USB drives.

The Stig

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

sorry to bring this back. but i just got my second firewire hard drive today and im trying to set it up really quick because im going away for the weekend in a few hours and want to use back to mac while im at the hotel to watch movies that i store on it. i got my second my book studio with firewire and usb.

i cannot do firewire drive>firewire drive>usb on second drive>airport extreme. is this correct? i would have to use a usb hub.

is there a firewire 800 to usb cable or anything or is hub the only option.

6. simsaladimbamba

There is no "Firewire to USB" cable, as they are entirely different interfaces.
    But if you have a FW HDD already, you can just connect the new Firewire HDD to that older Firewire HDD via an appropriate Firewire cable or use one of the free USB ports on your Mac or use a USB hub connect to the USB port of your Mac and the USB port of the HDD.
    Firewire and USB can't be daisy chained together, only Firewire can be daisy chained to another Firewire device, and a USB device can only be connected to a USB hub or other USB port (but not daisy chained).

[​IMG]

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

thanks!!! hub it is then as i am connecting to airport extreme. now we will see if my non powered hub will work or if i can find the powered hub somewhere in my room.

it would be cool if apple made a firewire port on the AE for people who use back to my mac and want to daisy chain. i dont think WD makes any usb daisy chain HD's except for the World Edition but the connecting drive for that has to be of equal or lesser size than the original.

anyways thanks!!! :)

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

An unpowered USB hub should work so long as all of the connected peripherals have external power sources. If you have power adapters on your HDDs, you should be fine. That's not saying that some hubs just won't work in general, so YMMV.

9. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

I just used an old Belkin hub (not powered). It works as the hard drives are powered by an AC adaptor. Thanks everyone!!!