Daisychaining of external hard drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Crazy-Horse, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Crazy-Horse macrumors newbie

Crazy-Horse

Hi folks,

I've been planning on purchasing a 1TB external (USB, FW400/800, most likely a Lacie Big Disk Extreme, at least i think that's what they're called) drive to complement my current WD MyBook USB 250GB drive. What I was wondering is, will it be possible for me to daisychain the USB-only drive to the triple interface one (does USB to USB work in this respect, or is there such a thing as a USB to FW cable)?

Also, on the subject of multiple drives, I currently have my iTunes library assigned to the MyBook... is it possible to have the library spread across two drives, while keeping it organised?

Thanks in advance :)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot daisychain anything using a USB connection. Some devices may be able to re-host the USB device (this tends to be true of NAT boxes which run as the host) but I don't think so in this case.

3. Crazy-Horse thread starter macrumors newbie

Crazy-Horse

Darn, there goes my dream of a free USB port... :(

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm...USB2 hub? Hello?

5. Crazy-Horse thread starter macrumors newbie

Crazy-Horse

Hello, very true, it was just a bit of a throwaway remark ;)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I guess it's subideal vs. having Firewire's speed, but it should usually treat you fairly well to have them both driven off a powered hub. :)

7. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Firewire much faster than USB

With that much disk space, I'd strongly advice using firewire instead of USB. I had heard stories that firewire was faster, but didn't realize how much faster until I benchmarked it myself.

Firewire (400mbit) I can get sustained 36MB/sec, ie megabytes/sec. thats smokin and close to the ~40MB limit.
    USB (480mbit) to the same drive I can only get ~16MB/sec. Less than half the speed.

Given that big a difference, I'd definitely go with Firewire. Its also impressive how reliable Firewire is. I daisychained a DVD burner to the above hard drive. While reading at 36MB/sec, I was also able to watch a movie at ~1MB/sec with no hickups.

PS, numbers here are from memory, I could be off a little, can double check tonight.